Tim399's Terrapin XL (pic heavy)

Show off your kayak!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Tim399's Terrapin XL (pic heavy)

Post by Tim399 »

wokka1 wrote:As Eoin sez...you want to keep Li-ion batteries dry dry dry. You might think the compartment is waterproof but salt water has a way of insinuating itself into every nook and cranny and seems to breed condensation too.
Sorry i just saw your post then wokka, i mustve missed it! I think a dry bag for the battery will be next on the list, salt water can be a bit on the evil side cant it!
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

At least ill have 2 flathead on board every trip from now on :evilgrin:
IMG_451.jpg
IMG_453.jpg
Last edited by Tim399 on 15 Aug 2017, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

IMG_444.jpg
To stop losing my c-tug parts underneath when i keep them in the front hatch i put a pool noodle in front of the transducer, it seems to do the job although it could probably do with another one or two
IMG_447.jpg
Having a smallish screen (when using a couple of pages at once) i mounted the head unit (is that what its called?) on the console so its between my legs and easy to adjust and read. It seems like a good spot as i can enter the yak easily without it being in the way. For where the wires go through any plastic i baught a hobie wiring kit from SLH (very fast postage!) it leaves a neat finish and seems to have the right sized gromets in the kit anyone could ever need, even a couple of blanks for if you remove the sounder.
IMG_446.jpg
For the moment until i have the time to go to my parents house (where the yak lives until my shed is built) and work out how i want to store the battery, it sits in the far console compartment, which doesnt get water in it at all without capsizing. I also ran the transducer wire through here, i wouldve prefered to have the gromet in the side wall but i couldnt get a drill bit in there without drilling an oval. The gromet seems fairly water tight anyway
IMG_448.jpg
Thats all i have added to the yak so far, all the effort loading/unloading, cleaning and modifying things is well worth it when you can get out and have mornings like these
IMG_449.jpg
IMG_450.jpg
Cheers