Pa14

Show off your kayak!
Fishingmad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Pa14

Post by Fishingmad »

Can't wait picking up my first ever yak this week a hobie pa14. Will post some pics when I get it
Hammertime
Lord of the fish
kayak: 2015 Yellow Outback

Re: Pa14

Post by Hammertime »

Fishingmad wrote:Can't wait picking up my first ever yak this week a hobie pa14. Will post some pics when I get it
Awesome news!

Who's your dealer :evilgrin:

Standard quote, stop by the safety section and read up.

Hopefully see you on the water soon
Flathead - 56cm - Lorne, Southern Calamari - 33cm - Avalon, Gum 130cm - Altona, Snapper 68cm Altona
Gozz
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 and 2 ebay jobs.

Post by Gozz »

Good job buddy.
I sold my 2012 PA14 last night and put a deposit on a 2015 yellow PA14 today.
Picking it up on Sat, cant wait to get it and start pimping , bet your hanging to do the same. :up:
Which sounder are you looking at fitting to it?.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Is there much difference between the 2012 and 2015 versions or is it just good marketing by Hobie?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

4liters wrote:Is there much difference between the 2012 and 2015 versions or is it just good marketing by Hobie?
Plenty in the PA14, less so in the 12. Main differences would be the vantage seat, H-rails, skeg, flat floor, dual rudder and a few minor bits and pieces.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

My mates got the new PA 14, I'm running the old model.
There's pro's n Cons to both, but personally I prefer my older one even though the seat isn't supposed to be as good.
I like the fact my seat doesn't cost over $700 to replace like the new style when someone can quick release and steals it (and yes I know of 2 blokes this has happened to).
If you lay your rods down into the rod tubes then the older style is better as it keeps the reels out of the water if your in choppy conditions.
I prefer the centre hatch with the cutting board that is slightly raised (I've had mine open with water on the deck and didn't go in = can't do that on the new one) Okay so blokes say you can't walk on the deck while casting - My Reply -Rubbish unless you're a blind hippo. I stand and cast off mine nearly every time I'm out and the raised center hatch doesn't bother me.
Just like some PA Princesses who say the H- bar gets in the way - What a load of drivell, if it's up and it's bugging you just pull the 2 pins out and fold it down 2 seconds Voila and you can still acces the hatch with it up or down (I've used my H-bar in 17Knot winds to stand up and stretch when my legs needed a peddle break).
The new hull has a few less scupper holes and reinforced as well so the trolley posts don't damage your yak, that's good.
The only thing I like on the newer model is the Lowrance ready transducer through hull "port" and recessed cavity for the transducer (although it limits you to Lowrance basically or something that can only fit in that space).
The rudder on the new one still sux, so I'd still make a new larger one like I did (Thanks Shane for the tip - Well worth it :thumbsup: )
Anyway the new PA 14 is an awesome fishing machine (even if all PA's are heavy beasts).
No kayak is the best as each has it's good and not so good designs either for inshore, offshore, inland etc.
Hey so it's okay to disagree with me, I don't mind if you're wrong :yahoo:
John 3.16/17
Fishingmad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie pro angler 14

Post by Fishingmad »

Wish I could afford a new one but u can't say no to $1500 for a pa14. Mine was a bargain. I'm slowly setting it up, sounder coming next winter. Got to get a esky, bait board, rod holders etc
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Fishingmad wrote:Wish I could afford a new one but u can't say no to $1500 for a pa14. Mine was a bargain. I'm slowly setting it up, sounder coming next winter. Got to get a esky, bait board, rod holders etc
Mate $1500 is a great deal on an older model, awesome buy Well Done :clap:
Honestly you don't need a new one if the one you have is in good nick, especially when you compare what you paid to a new one - The Fish Don't Care, ask anyone on here :)
Just remember that we live in a society that lies to you telling you that everything has to be newer, bigger better and that's why we have the spoilt Gimme Gimme generations now with less compassion and empathy for each other (sorry for the extra blurb - I feel better now :D )
The centre hatch black top is a bait board, I use mine all the time, unless you want a seperate one?
Esky is good or if you don't use the front hatch you can turn that into one easily. Does it have any type of sounder?
Ask on the forum if you are balancing the budget if anyone has some bits n pieces they could sell cheap.
Good luck with the fishing and well done on getting a bargain, many & I mean many blokes across Australia would be green with envy with you having that PA14 and even more so especially at the price you paid :thumbsup:
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

A couple of mods I'd highly recommend for an older PA14:

- Add a boat seat, just remove the old seat and install a new padded boat seat to the existing base. Gives much more room around the seat and far more comfortable.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... +boat+seat

- Add a DIY larger rudder or at least get the larger Hobie one.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5 ... Y&start=20
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... er#p175687
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... er#p150898

- Get the Glide Tech upgrade kit from Hobie to modernise your mirage drive.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... de#p221482

Other things like rod storage, anchor system and loading system can all be done to suit personal preference.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

shane wrote:
- Get the Glide Tech upgrade kit from Hobie to modernise your mirage drive.
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6 ... de#p221482
If its an old drive I would look more carefully into the rest of the drive's condition. No point putting new bearings on worn shafts etc. There have been other updates too. Mine was from 2006 and eventually replaced everything bar pedals and solid shafts. If a pedal strips I cant replace it but will have to replace full set of pedals and shaft.

So very old or worn drives have little value other than as spare drives. Best getting it checked before throwing parts at it.