Getting a PA14 Fishing ready Part 2

Show off your kayak!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Getting a PA14 Fishing ready Part 2

Post by Hvalross »

In Part 1 identified what accessories and how they are stowed for storage and transport. In Part 2 will show how and why I set things up the way I did.

Yak layout is a very personal thing, there is no right or wrong way to do it, it only needs to suit you and how you fish. So I worry about damaging rods and lures, getting hooks in feet and hands, and falling over clutter in front and under me. I get frustrated if things don't flow smoothly when things go pear shaped, and even more frustrated when things are not where my hand goes to get them..........nuff said?

For me the key to all this is having a place for everything and everything in its place, though a tidy freak I am not, I just have a short fuse so eliminate, where I can, friction points that is all. :)
Living far from where I fish puts me under pressure from the get go so set up time is at a premium for me, sooner I can get on the water the better. So here is my set up regimen at the location with the yak on the trailer....in order :-

- Set up the two G-Hold fittings and fit the paddle pointing backwards, and clip them up with the rubber safeties..
G-Holds
G-Holds
-Set up the sounder right next to the seat so I do not have to lean forward or to one side to operate the thing. Its on my right, I land fish on the Left, so its out of my way
Sounder is in easy reach
Sounder is in easy reach
-Set up 3 rods, simply rotate the H-Rail rod rack to horizontal and load the rods starting at the bottom bulkhead tube up. With the first rod in the bottom tube I rest the butt in the H-Rail rack furthest from me, and the top rod closest, that way my prime rod is in the top tube, the backup second and the big gun on the bottom.
The rod rack in place
The rod rack in place
The Lip grip is a neat fit on the right front chair leg. a couple of wraps of electrical tape protects the paintwork from damage.
Lip Grip
Lip Grip
-Set up the Ram Revolution rod holder pointing backwards.
Ram Revolution rod holder
Ram Revolution rod holder
This is where I stow the rod I am not using, so that I can have one rod working with the other close handy to swap if I change from say Vibe to SP, easy as!

On my left is the H-Rail tackle bin, pre loaded in this case with the lures I plan to use, in this case one has jig heads and the other hard body lures. My SP's are in a "drop in" Hobie bucket in the hatch under my feet (not shown). The waterproof storage boxes supplied with the PA are a nice fit in the Tackle Bin and leave a bit of space to add a little square upright plastic kitchen tidy ideal for tubes of scent, pliars and braid clippers
H-Rail tackle Bin
H-Rail tackle Bin
So to sum up the Right side of the Yak looks like this...
RH view
RH view
and the Left side like this..
LH view
LH view
Behind the seat I stow the bilge pump. By slicing the foam I was able to slide the two halves apart so that it fits neatly under the rear seat safety strap..
Split the foam in two parts
Split the foam in two parts
Fits under the safety
Fits under the safety
Its out of the way and handy when needed
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
Anthony
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie PA12

Re: Getting a PA14 Fishing ready Part 2

Post by Anthony »

Looks good, it's always nice to see other peoples setups for ideal.

I'm also a fan of the H-Rail fittings. I'm yet to drill any holes in my PA and I can add or remove fittings depending on my need.

Putting the bilge pump behind the seat is a good idea. Out of the way but easy to get to if you need it, I might do the same. I also like the G-Hold fittings to hold the paddle, I've been thinking of doing something similar because I'm not a fan of both the position and functionality of the stock paddle holder.
Galey
Lord of the fish
kayak: Ok Frenzy

Post by Galey »

Nice. I will be keeping an eye out for the trip reports from this fish catching machine. :thumbsup:
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

nice Andrew, very similar to mine, don't forget to drill a couple of holes in the h rail tackle bin, water splashes in, in a chop :thumbsup:
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

westy wrote:nice Andrew, very similar to mine, don't forget to drill a couple of holes in the h rail tackle bin, water splashes in, in a chop :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thanks, will do that, now that you point it out just messed about getting it sorted after a trip.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

Well the system works, and here is the evidence, the first session and the first fish since the upgrade. Little bream, on a very cold and scratchy day.

The objective was organisation, and from that perspective it worked well for me. Changing rigs and lures was simplified. Rod stowage and rotation worked as planned, and best of all no tanties 'cos things did'nt work or were not where I put them........... :yahoo: almost BORING really :lol:
Image Courtesy Brent Hodges
Image Courtesy Brent Hodges
Last edited by Hvalross on 31 May 2016, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Keeping everything in its place is important. When a gummy has wrapped all your lines up and thrashing around between your legs thats no time to start wondering where your pliers are, or trying to stop your tackle boxes being flipped over the side.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:Keeping everything in its place is important. When a gummy has wrapped all your lines up and thrashing around between your legs thats no time to start wondering where your pliers are, or trying to stop your tackle boxes being flipped over the side.

Did you get your new Revo yet ?
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Hvalross wrote:
laneends wrote:Keeping everything in its place is important. When a gummy has wrapped all your lines up and thrashing around between your legs thats no time to start wondering where your pliers are, or trying to stop your tackle boxes being flipped over the side.

Picked it up today. I'll do a rigged yak post once I get everything transferred over. Had the other out in some roughish weather to get the feel of it, and a practice run at rigging.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish

Post by Hvalross »

laneends wrote:
Hvalross wrote:

Picked it up today. I'll do a rigged yak post once I get everything transferred over. Had the other out in some roughish weather to get the feel of it, and a practice run at rigging.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Glad it got sorted, would have been a real downer to have a brand new flawed "new toy" to live with. Looking forward to see your set up :up: