A stranger in the night

Show off your kayak!
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: A stranger in the night

Post by Reeling »

bagpuss wrote:
Small world my wife is from Chepstow and I'm from Alvington about 6 miles up the road
ahh just on the wrong side ;)

Indeed, a small world
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Are we going to have a review on this stranger?
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

inshorebrawler wrote:Are we going to have a review on this stranger?
He I want to get out on it in variety of conditions before I do. Also anchor up in somewhere like WP etc. With a bit of flow.

Still trying to figure out which route to go down re: sounder. Is structure scan worthwhile and if so transducer externally mounted. Also whether to stick with lowrance or go to Garmin
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

I'm going external mounting on both unit and transducer So I can swap from one yak to another the stealth is a ripper as you can velcro down on the fish hatch, I may be using the ram arm for transducer and adding some rails to secure them. The reason for external transducer is to have accurate water temps.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Reeling wrote:
inshorebrawler wrote:Are we going to have a review on this stranger?
He I want to get out on it in variety of conditions before I do. Also anchor up in somewhere like WP etc. With a bit of flow.

Still trying to figure out which route to go down re: sounder. Is structure scan worthwhile and if so transducer externally mounted. Also whether to stick with lowrance or go to Garmin
The sounder is imo an important piece of equipment, i met a guy (vyak member forget his name)at the ramp here he had a lowrance with all the extra features, he suggested thast they are well worth having, the side scan give a very detailed view of the structure. As previously stated i like to use dual frequency and mapping, however i find it takes up to much screen on the 4". Then there is maps or mapping? I currently put my sounder next to me or on the front platform in the PA, if i were to buy either a 5" this would still suite both locations, if i were to buy a 7" which im leaning towards it would only fit in the front mount, however my reason for the 7" is because it comes with everything i need for a better model in the 5" for a similar price, re: garmin/lawrence, garmin in their bigger model have wifi, no issues with exposed internals via mem cards, other than that i don't know.

As frank said, the only reason for an external transducer is water temp. I guess first you need to have a look at all the features available on all makes and models, then work out if you can fit what you want to both yaks, the smaller units dont come with the same features as the larger ones unfortunately,
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

Starting think of ideas for stealth mods in terms of running forward facing holders. What are your thoughts stealth owners?

Scotty mounts, although bulkier than the berkley QS mounts, will allow me to run other styles of holders other than just the berkley. I wouldnt mind trying to troll with the rods forward facing like i used to and compare this to the rear ones inbuilt holders. They standard ones are in easy reach on hookup but found myself turning all the time to see the rod tip action. I could run slight different angles on the rod holders to avoid butt clash ;) but the down side is that I would have to remove the rod/s to access the hatch. I'm thinking that this could easily be done by just relocating rod to standard trolling holders behind me

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you put scotty mounts where you propose could you use your scotty rocket holders and angle them backwards for trolling. Easy to see and grab, then put the berkleys in if you want to bait soak forwards. Maybe reduce your extension heights now you dont have to clear pedals
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:If you put scotty mounts where you propose could you use your scotty rocket holders and angle them backwards for trolling. Easy to see and grab, then put the berkleys in if you want to bait soak forwards. Maybe reduce your extension heights now you dont have to clear pedals
I did look at rocket launchers when I picked the photographed scotty holder. The only problem then is that the angled back rocket launcher may interfere when the paddle enters the water during the catch.

Yes the QS extension can me probably halved again ;-)

laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Rod holders trolling up front will always interfere with vigorous paddling. Even if you don't hit the rod you will catch the line with the paddle tip, especially as you change course. Or slow to clear one of the lures.

Also with a long yak it increases the hang ups on the back of the yak. Forward trolling is really good for slow speed trolling.
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:Rod holders trolling up front will always interfere with vigorous paddling. Even if you don't hit the rod you will catch the line with the paddle tip, especially as you change course. Or slow to clear one of the lures.

Also with a long yak it increases the hang ups on the back of the yak. Forward trolling is really good for slow speed trolling.
Great points. I'm sure my inconsistent and inaccurate stroke with become even more apparent hitting the rod, instead of just the yak rails :)

I imagine that I'd only really use them for slow trolling. Anything trolling at speed will typically be offshore and in the rear holders.