Looks the goods.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Re: A stranger in the night

Post by happyas »

Maybe a small minus point with your sounder mount is if a fish runs the line in behind the sounder the chances of a snap off or tangle maybe increased. I did have a similar system rigged up years ago but ended up taking it off as it caused me a few headaches when fishing and beaching.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

happyas wrote:Maybe a small minus point with your sounder mount is if a fish runs the line in behind the sounder the chances of a snap off or tangle maybe increased. I did have a similar system rigged up years ago but ended up taking it off as it caused me a few headaches when fishing and beaching.
Thanks Larry, I will definitely bare that in mind, although I do tend to land fish on the port side.

Not sure how I could mount such a transducer without completely eliminating the problem you highlight.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Reeling wrote:
happyas wrote:Maybe a small minus point with your sounder mount is if a fish runs the line in behind the sounder the chances of a snap off or tangle maybe increased. I did have a similar system rigged up years ago but ended up taking it off as it caused me a few headaches when fishing and beaching.
Thanks Larry, I will definitely bare that in mind, although I do tend to land fish on the port side.

Not sure how I could mount such a transducer without completely eliminating the problem you highlight.
I had that issue with my over the side set up. Just learned to work around it.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

If you have a green and white kayak being the colours of Wales. Then I must need a white and red one the colours of England...Now where can i find one of them?......Jordo needs to upgrade to a live well version :evilgrin:
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

laneends wrote:If you have a green and white kayak being the colours of Wales. Then I must need a white and red one the colours of England...Now where can i find one of them?......Jordo needs to upgrade to a live well version :evilgrin:
why restrict yourself...Just bloddy buy a white one already, and add the cross yourself! :yahoo:
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Nath is there an issue with making a mould using your transducer and add a mount on the underside of your yak, im sure Eoin culd come up with some advice, does the stealth have scupper holes which you could modify?
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

peatop wrote: does the stealth have scupper holes which you could modify?
not really
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Reeling
Lord of the fish

Post by Reeling »

That's a good shout peter and it is something i've thought about, but also the sidescan needs to be completely free of any obstruction from my understanding. And as Cheater has said, there isn't really any scupper holes to run a cable through meaning you'd be left with having to run the cable up the outside of the ski anyway.

There is a venturi drain holes in the foot well, similar to on the hobies for under the seats, but wouldn't want to start hacking that up to fit the cable.

I went for a paddle this morning, but didn't take the sounder as I didn't want to get distracted from paddling and cursing if I saw a big school light up the screen. Today was about paddling, not fishing

peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

My brother is the fiberglass guy, im the steel guy, but i know how anoying the trolly shafts are when i put the wheels in the rear handle, everything finds the shafts and wraps around them, frustrating to say the least, i cant imagine i would like your transducer setup for this same reason, so i would have to find a way to go through hull and most likely via a modification to produce a scupper style setup to allow the cable access to come through as well.

The addition of down and side scan has created issues with kayaks, i myself would like it on my next sounder and berkely make an adapter to fit the hobies without the new system, from what I've seen of the mounts the bottom of the transducer must need clear access to the surrounding environment to work, at the moment the transducer is covered, however im yet to investigate it fully.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm