trolling - dead bait jig

Kayak rigging specific to offshore yakking
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

trolling - dead bait jig

Post by cheaterparts »

With various off shore activities happening in the near future and the SWR trip springs to mind - Spaniards don't mind a swimming dead bait at a guess other species would rush something that looks like a bait swimming naturally

So the guys up north use a weighted wire rig as in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aYThhzhWyQ

no doubt it works - I however don't like the bends in the wire where the sinker keel fits that are spots that will be flexing and stainless work hardens so will get brittle if flexed

I bent up something that should work the same but gets rid of these weeker bends

this had a straight pull on the wire between the 2 end loops --

How I bent it up -- starting at the rear loop a few twists around the main wire and straight down

this section was bent forward and the sinker slid on - in front of the sinker the wire was bent straight up and wrapped around the main wire again with the tag straight up as the head pin

the main wire was then bent into a loop in the front section of the clip and twisted back on itself

this should be stronger than the version in the utube clip and uses about an inch or an inch and a bit more wire

my clip is made out off 0.9 mm 316 wire and is yet to be tried but like I said should work the same as what the guys up north are using
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jordo
Square eyes
kayak: AI

Re: trolling - dead bait jig

Post by Jordo »

I've been trying out a few different dead bait rigs lately, this is my favourite so far. Had a hit at mornington on one, it run hard and didn't feel like a snapper then it dropped it.... will do a bit more trolling with them.
Time spent in the ocean is time spent living.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

When I lived in Townsville I used to troll a rig called a split tail. If I was a computer wiz I could do some diagrams but I'm not so I will try and describe it for you.
I used mullet but any suitable bait fish would work (yellow tail, slimeys, tommys etc) Start by filleting the bait from shoulder to tail leave the fillet attached at the shoulder. If you can manage to split the tail fin even better. Remove the backbone and empty the gut cavity so you end up with a head with two fillets attached.
put a hook or ganged hooks through the gut cavity so the eye is in the mouth then with single strand wire (I used piano wire) pierce the top of the mouth/head through the eye of the hook and out through the bottom of the mouth. Place a ball sinker on the wire and then twist the wire together in front of the baits mouth so that he sinker rests under its chin. This keeps the bait swimming upright and keeps the mouth closed when trolling. The other end of the wire as long or short as you desire (long for toothy critters short for shy ones) twist on a swivel and you are set. I would catch or buy my bait fresh and rig them days or weeks in advance and freeze them in packs of 6 or 10 packs so that as they were taken I would just tie on another one.
With the backbone removed the fillets produce a very life like motion in the trolled bait. The size of the sinker varies with the size of the bait, trolling speed and depth desired ( a little experimentation will sort that out for you). I have never used it in Victoria but I am sure it would work for kingies and I know it will work on Tuna and may be possible to rig a squid similarly....gotta be worth a try.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

spider25160 wrote:When I lived in Townsville I used to troll a rig called a split tail. If I was a computer wiz I could do some diagrams but I'm not so I will try and describe it for you.
I used mullet but any suitable bait fish would work (yellow tail, slimeys, tommys etc) Start by filleting the bait from shoulder to tail leave the fillet attached at the shoulder. If you can manage to split the tail fin even better. Remove the backbone and empty the gut cavity so you end up with a head with two fillets attached.
put a hook or ganged hooks through the gut cavity so the eye is in the mouth then with single strand wire (I used piano wire) pierce the top of the mouth/head through the eye of the hook and out through the bottom of the mouth. Place a ball sinker on the wire and then twist the wire together in front of the baits mouth so that he sinker rests under its chin. This keeps the bait swimming upright and keeps the mouth closed when trolling. The other end of the wire as long or short as you desire (long for toothy critters short for shy ones) twist on a swivel and you are set. I would catch or buy my bait fresh and rig them days or weeks in advance and freeze them in packs of 6 or 10 packs so that as they were taken I would just tie on another one.
With the backbone removed the fillets produce a very life like motion in the trolled bait. The size of the sinker varies with the size of the bait, trolling speed and depth desired ( a little experimentation will sort that out for you). I have never used it in Victoria but I am sure it would work for kingies and I know it will work on Tuna and may be possible to rig a squid similarly....gotta be worth a try.
Funny you should say that, I was talking to Jordo about the combination of Cheaters rig and butterflied garfish only last week!
Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

And I've been experimenting with them - up to my 4th formula with them atm. Been modifying them slightly to suit the trolling speeds, depths and presentation that I'm after. No fish on them yet though.... maybe I'll be fourth time lucky
sog
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revolution

Post by sog »

Bump
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Stolen from another channel, Jaime D's haywire twist video:

Jordo
Square eyes

Post by Jordo »

Well ive given these dead bait rigs a good flog in ppb and out the front at San remo. I've tried over a dozen different variations and trolled them over 100ks. I've had one hit and run and then it spat it. From all my experimenting a can come to one of two conclusions:
A. Dead bait rigs aren't very effective here in vic
B. Port Phillip Bay has no fish (the cheater theory)
Personally I like conclusion B :lol:

On a positive note, I am now well equipped and practiced at rigging a number of different dead baits for up north - too bad I'm not heading up that way anytime soon...
I would recommend practicing making these rigs a bit if you plan on using them as they take a few goes to get the hang of.
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

Jordo wrote: A. Dead bait rigs aren't very effective here in vic
From my experience it is B
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

spider25160 wrote:
Jordo wrote: A. Dead bait rigs aren't very effective here in vic
From my experience it is B
think PPB is dead, well l have spent many days soaking live squid and gars for no joy, just feeding that bloody seal :lol:

seem to have a lot of success with hard bodys though, mostly rubbish fish, 5kg salmon and those stupid snapper, hot lure, Berkeley frenzy in perch pattern :wtf: