Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Offshore kayak reviews
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Post by Yako »

shane wrote:From personal experience only, having been in some rough conditions offshore accompanying an Outback, I would say the PA14 over the Outback. I'm not entirely sure how the PA12 would perform but I expect the extra 2 feet in length would make a big difference in rough conditions. With the conditions Eoin described up at SWR it was very comfortable and stable just sitting still as the PA would just ride out the waves. With forward momentum you had to be more on your game to keep the yak in a straight heading and that's where constant adjustment of my extra large rudder and very actively shifting body weight to the side and into the waves is what's needed to navigate safely.
Hi Shane
After reading your articles (mostly and checking tons of youtube vids) and after much umming and aahing I got myself a PA 14 2011 Model to start with.
Have you got any pics of your rudder upgrade?
I did search all over the forum (and kept getting sidetracked by all the interesting topics :D )

Also I now need to get some experience on the water with my PA, If you or anyone else are doing re-enrties, fall outs etc or know of others I'd really appreciate being invited/included.
Thanks.
John 3.16/17
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Yako wrote:If you or anyone else are doing re-enrties, fall outs etc or know of others I'd really appreciate being invited/included.
Thanks.
I'm always happy to go swimming, let me know when you want to go.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

FishnDive wrote:
Yako wrote:If you or anyone else are doing re-enrties, fall outs etc or know of others I'd really appreciate being invited/included.
Thanks.
X2. Post a date time & place that suits you under fishing trips or safety.
You will probably get a few interested to join in.
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Jacko wrote:
FishnDive wrote:
Thanks.
X2. Post a date time & place that suits you under fishing trips or safety.
You will probably get a few interested to join in.
Okay I'll give it a go, Thanks.
As a Newbie to pedal yaks I'm keen to try safety trials before anything else.
Darn cold weather is coming back the rest of this week :down: , maybe the weekend will be ok to get out and try :D
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Yako wrote:
shane wrote:From personal experience only, having been in some rough conditions offshore accompanying an Outback, I would say the PA14 over the Outback. I'm not entirely sure how the PA12 would perform but I expect the extra 2 feet in length would make a big difference in rough conditions. With the conditions Eoin described up at SWR it was very comfortable and stable just sitting still as the PA would just ride out the waves. With forward momentum you had to be more on your game to keep the yak in a straight heading and that's where constant adjustment of my extra large rudder and very actively shifting body weight to the side and into the waves is what's needed to navigate safely.
Hi Shane
After reading your articles (mostly and checking tons of youtube vids) and after much umming and aahing I got myself a PA 14 2011 Model to start with.
Have you got any pics of your rudder upgrade?
I did search all over the forum (and kept getting sidetracked by all the interesting topics :D )

Also I now need to get some experience on the water with my PA, If you or anyone else are doing re-enrties, fall outs etc or know of others I'd really appreciate being invited/included.
Thanks.
I've sent you a PM Yako. For anyone else interested, here is a close up photo of my rudder:

My rudder is made from 11mm HDPE that's been cut and shaped then fitted into the original bracket. It's much larger than the large Hobie PA rudder. Because it hangs out so far it hits the ground when I load the front first to car top. This would damage the rudder so I made the stand to support the yak stably while I pivot on the rear to load the front of the yak. This same stand also swings up to hold the scupper cart on the water (fits through the holes).

Don't be too put off with the cooler weather for re-entry practice. An onshore wind with some rougher conditions is actually good to practice in. Just don't go out very deep at first (shoulder deep) then work your way out a bit deeper. The water will be cold for a couple of months yet and you will warm up with the effort. Just keep the session short and have a towel and change of clothes at the ready.
0408 565 763