Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Offshore kayak reviews
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Post by Seasherpa »

While a review will always be somewhat governed by the experience of the yakker here's a short review of how I think the outback handles offshore conditions.

Relevant Mods: Hobie sailing rudder, ST fin upgrade
Locations: SWR & Port Fairy
Conditions:
SWR 2.5m swells,short period and chop on top and strong currents running.
Port Fairy 1.5-2m swell 13s period, light winds.

You can probably predict what way this is going to go but here goes anyway.
South West Rocks
Nice Swells
Nice Swells
I felt like the yak was on the limit most of the time offshore. The chop on top of the swell was causing the outback to zig zag on the crest and attempt to broach on the down side of the swells. This meant I found myself with one hand on the rudder at all times and opposite locking to counter the broach at each crest. After a while I got into the rhythm of it and it became part of the trip. I stayed upright and I feel the experience probably improved my seamanship but if I had been lucky enough to hook up in those conditions it would have made things interesting. The hand winding in is the one that should have been on the rudder s there is a fair chance I would have struggled to land it. When Cheater and I decided to pull the pin, we were heading out against the swell so the rods were wound in in bursts and stashed and I felt like I really had to time the turn into the following sea. The trip back in was made watching behind the whole way and I was a happy boy to be back in Trial Bay. They are the worst conditions I've been out in and in hindsight I think the outback is probably not the weapon of choice for up there. I'll be in the stealth next year, but will miss the pedals.

Port Fairy
EOINPF_zpsizo1kugy.jpg
Conditions at Port Fairy were much better suited to the outback. Long periods between swells and no chop on top. I felt completely safe all day and didn't experience any of the zig zag-ing on the crests of the swell. Some serious k's were covered that day though and with only ST fins and an unfit pilot, the outback was struggling to keep pace with Shane's turbo finned PA. The outback can be used comfortably in those conditions though and can cover the distance to get to the fish (as Mav proved a few weeks later) but having done the same trip in both the stealth and the outback, it was definitely harder work in the outback.

Verdict:
Sailing rudder is a must and ST turbo fins would probably prove their worth covering the distance. If there is chop on top of the swell I'd think twice, it can be done, but you aren't going to be comfortable.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Hobie Outback '13 Offshore

Post by shane »

Thanks for the review Eoin. I remember a couple of those really rough days at SWR. While I felt comfortable enough in them you really had to be on your game, leaning into the steèp swells and then tacking across them in a following sea. I wouldn't right off the outback in calmer conditions up at SWR. When you hook a big fish in the stealth you are largely at the mercy of the fish whereas I found with pedals you could reposition and dictate terms more easily to bigger fish.
0408 565 763
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

shane wrote:Thanks for the review Eoin.
I guess the review is more for people wondering what the limits are for various yaks when deciding what to buy to suit their needs. There are plenty of threads that discuss the theoretical capabilities of various yaks offshore so it might be good to build a databank of yakkers experiences.
Also 'try before you buy' paddles aren't usually in offshore conditions when people are deciding what to buy.
shane wrote: I remember a couple of those really rough days at SWR. While I felt comfortable enough in them you really had to be on your game, leaning into the steèp swells and then tacking across them in a following sea. I wouldn't right off the outback in calmer conditions up at SWR. When you hook a big fish in the stealth you are largely at the mercy of the fish whereas I found with pedals you could reposition and dictate terms more easily to bigger fish.
I think it is the swell/chop combo that puts the outback beyond its limit, I will miss the pedals and with big fish the plan would be to point the rod at the nose to bring the yak around to follow, I'd imagine Cheater would be going for a similar strategy. It would be interesting to get Dave or Chenski to do a revo review for comparison.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

FishnDive wrote:
I think it is the swell/chop combo that puts the outback beyond its limit, I will miss the pedals and with big fish the plan would be to point the rod at the nose to bring the yak around to follow, I'd imagine Cheater would be going for a similar strategy. It would be interesting to get Dave or Chenski to do a revo review for comparison.
I was paddling beside Dave when he took two unplaned dips and at the time it seamed strange the way they happened. There was quite choppy swell at a guess 2 meterish with those nice little breaking white caps , both times his Revo looked ok then the little breaker somehow caught him off guard . Maybe they have the same trait as the outback

I must say the Prowler felt quite comfortable in these less that ideal condition -- mind you I did turtle in the smallest little shore break by not paying attention , at least everyone got to see it and had a giggle

Yes I have been towed around by an eagle and it was easy enough to just put the rod tip forward and let the fish pull the yak around and steer with the foot pedals when needed
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Thanks Eoin for the outback review.
I read the reports from the SWR trip which was a good read.
I'm trying to figure out the best for me. I was interested in a Native with pedals but hear with the pedal heights it's not so good on the lower back.
So I guess its an Outback or PA 12 or 14, I'll be in ppb & wpb 90% of the time with the odd trip in calm flat weather into the sea.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

From personal experience only, having been in some rough conditions offshore accompanying an Outback, I would say the PA14 over the Outback. I'm not entirely sure how the PA12 would perform but I expect the extra 2 feet in length would make a big difference in rough conditions. With the conditions Eoin described up at SWR it was very comfortable and stable just sitting still as the PA would just ride out the waves. With forward momentum you had to be more on your game to keep the yak in a straight heading and that's where constant adjustment of my extra large rudder and very actively shifting body weight to the side and into the waves is what's needed to navigate safely.
0408 565 763
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Thanks Shane.
How would the revo go in the sea with amas on, any ideas?
Someone said the pa 14 had good primary balance therefore not so good in the sea for secondary??
You seem ok with yours though in the sea, what's the key?
Thanks.
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict

Post by shane »

Yako wrote:Thanks Shane.
How would the revo go in the sea with amas on, any ideas?
Someone said the pa 14 had good primary balance therefore not so good in the sea for secondary??
You seem ok with yours though in the sea, what's the key?
Thanks.
There's probably a point regarding secondary stability not being as good on a PA. However there's a massive amount of primary stability and I haven't come close to fully expending it except in the surf zone. The revo with amas on should perform better due to the massively increased primary stability. I'm not sure what if any difference there is for me is in rough seas. I have an extra large rudder that definitely helps maintaining control authority for longer in rough conditions. I'm also used to moving my body about to actively counter the affects of waves etc. You also need to be aware of when and how to pilot the yak through rough seas, you are constantly reading and adjusting to suit the wave/chop conditions immediately around you. I'm sure others are much better at it than me but its also about getting used to the feel and movement of your individual yak in testing conditions.
0408 565 763
Wind Waker
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback, Hobie PA14 MD180,

Post by Wind Waker »

Yako wrote:Thanks Eoin for the outback review.
I'm trying to figure out the best for me. I was interested in a Native with pedals but hear with the pedal heights it's not so good on the lower back.
So I guess its an Outback or PA 12 or 14, I'll be in ppb & wpb 90% of the time with the odd trip in calm flat weather into the sea.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
Native has basically no accessible in hull storage. Not great for coming back in through surf or even for trying to maintain a clear deck area for reentry if you do capsize. Native is fine for bay work though.
Live long, fish hard and hopefully catch something.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.

Post by Seasherpa »

Yako wrote:Thanks Eoin for the outback review.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
It is probably worth looking at what type of fishing you want to do as well as where you want to fish and also how you want to live with it on a day to day basis. You said that 90% of your fishing will be PPB and WP, and both the PA and outback would be fine out there in good conditions so deciding between the two is probably more about how much you want to bring with you when you go. The PA has more storage and the ability to stand up (fishing and peeing). Having said that I never ran out of space on the outback and it is easier to manhandle up the beach and onto a car.
Transport is always a debate and you can put a PA on top of a car, just like you can use it offshore I'm not suggesting that you can't but you need to consider
if you want to because at the end of the day there are better yaks for offshore and easier yaks to load and move around. There are work around though like trailers to make life easier if you have space for one. So in short storage is better on the PA but the trade-off is thatit is harder to move around.
Yako wrote: You seem ok with yours though in the sea, what's the key?
Also bear in mind that Shane is very experienced in more testing conditions and personally I don't think everyone would be able to navigate a PA in rough conditions as he does. He has to move his weight around a lot to offset the primary on the back of waves and for me it comes back to the can but want to argument again.
You said that you will only be offshore in calm conditions and if you plan it correctly both Pa and Outback are capable of getting you in and back in one piece.
SLH run demo days down at Mornington so my recommendation would be to drop in an put your name down to try both and decide which one feels right for you because you will be the one spending the time in the seat.