Horizontal rod storage on a Revolution 13

Show off your DIY project!
GregL
Apprentice
kayak: Couple o'Hobies

Horizontal rod storage on a Revolution 13

Post by GregL »

Hey there,
I did a bit of extreme reno's to the old Revo a couple of weeks ago, and the results may raise an eyebrow or two.
The pictures speak for themselves really.
I have always been a massive fan of the Revolution 13 as the great allrounder. Lakes, rivers, offshore - it is pretty much perfect everwhere.
The only drawback I reckon it has, is the standard, vertical rod storage. Sure it works, but I don't need to convince anyone that vertical rod storage is a pain if you're deep in bass country, or that any sand monster with a scerric of hunger will chew your rods like smacko's given half the chance. I also suppose this new whizz bang craze of 'tournament fishing' requiring anglers to take a few set ups with them, see's the humble Revo and its owner at a disadvantage to the battleships cruising the tournament arena's around the country.
So, quite simply - horizontal is the way to go.
Myself and a mate at work put our heads together and came up with this.
We used two sections of H-Rail, through bolted into the gunnel of the kayak. This allowed for the kayak to sit on the roof racks of my truck as normal.
The section by the seat came straight off a Pro Angler - complete with the steering arm and handle. Its a boss steering system - super comfy and being a bit higher up eliminates the lovely 'water down the sleeve' trick. I simply removed the old steering arm and fitted the new one (which was a bit of a squeeze, but it did fit), and fitted a custom spacer under the steering handle to allow the H-Rail to be horizontal.
Initially I used a set of H-Rail rod racks in a horizontal position which did work ok, but we formed up an entirely new pair of fibreglass rod racks which not only hold the rods much further above the water, but the rods and reels stack much nicer against each other. There's a loop of shock cord on each rack too which keeps the rods locked in when required.
I've lost a couple over the years that are stowed vertically behind me, and there's nothing worse than reaching around to grab a set up to find its gone after being hooked up in an over hanging tree, or simply knocked or bumped out whilst travelling - especially offshore. After half a dozen trips out with the new set up, I can't speak highly enough of it. There's simply nothing more reassuring than being able to see your rods at all times, and to have them right at hand.
There's been absolutely no problem fishing with the racks in place either - cast and net fish as normal.
Cheers for now,
Smeg
20170429_065905_resized (Medium).jpg
Attachments
20170429_070010_resized (Medium).jpg
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Re: Horizontal rod storage on a Revolution 13

Post by Babylon »

Very nice :thumbsup:
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

Hobie horizontal rod racks are only $21 each and clamp directly to the H rail......does the same thing, off the shelf and easy to mount. Been using the external horizontal method for a couple of years now and it makes things really easy and safer.
In addition one can mount a single pointing aft to hold another rod more eadily accessed.
So when chasing bream or cod a person can have two or more identical rigs with different lures/ colours and alternate as needed without having to shuffle rods deckside.....always a spare rod holder pointing backwards and out of the way. :thumbsup:
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
GregL
Apprentice
kayak: Couple o'Hobies

Post by GregL »

As I mentioned, I did initially use the off the shelf racks, and whilst they do work, the custom one's do work a little better as they are slightly larger and the angle allows the rods to stack much nicer. They also hold the reels way higher above the waterline when offshore.
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Post by Hvalross »

GregL wrote:As I mentioned, I did initially use the off the shelf racks, and whilst they do work, the custom one's do work a little better as they are slightly larger and the angle allows the rods to stack much nicer. They also hold the reels way higher above the waterline when offshore.
Yep! Did read your post and understood that. Others, who are not into H rail may have missed that and the fact that H rail kits are available and reasoably priced, and as you are demonstrating their applications are many and not confined to Hobie yaks or yaks full stop.

I have a pair of H rails on my aluminium Savage Jabiru with sounder and tackle bins, plus horizontal rod holders to keep rods profiled horizontal and out of the way for casting and as you indicate loss by stealth on overhanging trees etc.
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...