PA winter mods (pic heavy)

Show off your DIY project!
Hvalross
Lord of the fish
kayak: Yellow Hobie Pro 14

Re: PA winter mods (pic heavy)

Post by Hvalross »

You have built yourself a very functional fishing machine there Frank I'd score that at 11/10
Great to see- well done and executed .......
When all else fails........read the instructions!
Studies have shown that people who have more Birthdays tend to live longer...
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Now when you come back from a day on the water with donuts and the bloke on the bank with his k mart rod shows you his prize catch you will have no excuses. :lol:
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

Frank is the rudder controller a second one and where did you get it?
I want to put one on my RHS for when I sail my PA or I'm towing my wife in her yak?
Thanks
John 3.16/17
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Great job Frank. :up:

I prefer my trolling rod holders forward so they are in clear view at all times. These are railblazers mounted near the start of the running boards.

With the front hatch have a check to make sure it is sealing down well all the way around. With such a big hatch pulling it down more in the middle could force the sides to lift a bit, which is more an issue for water ingress. If it's a problem then you can add some ute cover style bungees along the sides (as I've done).

With the bilge pump I have mine wedged between the seat scuppers and the centre hatch. This way it's accessible through the centre hatch and I also pump out through here. If you're in rough seas and in need of bailing/pumping it's better not to have to open the front hatch and remove the liner to access the pump.
0408 565 763
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

Yako wrote:Frank is the rudder controller a second one and where did you get it?
I want to put one on my RHS for when I sail my PA or I'm towing my wife in her yak?
Thanks
No, mate it is only a single left handed it is the upgrade kit for Hobie.

"Shane" thanks for the input I also have 4 starports mounted to the boards too just in case I decide to use them forward mounted, I have not tested the hatch for water tightness but will be shortly and I like the idea under the centre hatch t certainly make more sense :clap:
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

FRANKB wrote:
" I like the idea under the centre hatch t certainly make more sense :clap:
Having the bilge pump under the seat would be good ( must move mine back). Last year when I put holes in my scupper tubes the bilge pump up front was useless as the weight of water in the back kept the nose up not allowing it to work quickly enough.
John 3.16/17
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Very nice Frank, found l that l didn't use the paddle much at all, so kept it in the hull out of the way, might find your position will just get in the way.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

westy wrote:Very nice Frank, found l that l didn't use the paddle much at all, so kept it in the hull out of the way, might find your position will just get in the way.
I have only been out once with it and it was not annoying. i do not really use the front hatch that often because i fish light unless i get a few fish to keep which is not often due to being a sports fisho. The main reason is for quick access when estuary or river fishing quick to get moving backwards or to push off, also when stand up casting....
thanks for the input
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes