Quick and dirty PVC bait tube

Show off your DIY project!
Deefa
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie TI & 3.6m paddle yak

Quick and dirty PVC bait tube

Post by Deefa »

I decided during Friday I wanted a bait tube for Cape Woolamai, as I'll hopefully pick up a few squid on the way out, and possibly find some bait around.

Disclaimer: I'm a hack.

90mm stormwater PVC 1m
1 flat end cap.
A few cable ties

Tools:
marker, ruler, hacksaw, cordless drill 3.5mm & 9mm bits, MAP gas torch

Method:
1. Drill out the end cap (this will be the rear of the tube)

2. Mark 80mm in from one end. Mark out 6 points equidistant around this line, and then 6 at the end of the tube, in between the points at the 80mm line:
ImageImage

3. Mark out the triangles, and start cutting with the hacksaw:
ImageImageImage

4. Heat the base of the triangles with the MAP torch (a little less than I did, no need to scorch them!). Maybe just use a heat gun, which I forgot I had... ;)
I used this bad boy:Image

5. When the PVC is nice and soft (blackened, if you prefer) roll the triangles on a surface to get them to point in, and then jam it in a suitable orifice (I had this subwoofer port handy) and leave it to cool
ImageImage

6. This should be step 4:
Drill a small hole near the tip of each triangle
Thread one or more cable ties through the 6 holes and tighten, to hold the points together.

7. Cut the tube to the length you want, and glue on the end cap

8. Mark a hatch area, drill out and start hack sawing:

9. Cut the main offcut from top to bottom, and drill two holes, and add a cable tie, for the sliding hatch cover

10. Dill two holes and add a cable tie, for the tow point. This should be aligned so to pull the tube under water.

11. Slide hatch cover over tube.

Tada!

ImageImage

Needs two hands to get the hatch cover over the front of the tube, but this is not strictly necessary as the bait will not be getting through a 1mm gap.

I'll need to weight it to get it neutral, I'll do this on the water with sinkers and line/cable ties.
I ended up cutting the cable ties, and sanding the cuts smooth.
I may need more holes for water flow, but the triangles have heaps of gap, so should be ok.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Quick and dirty PVC bait tube

Post by maverick »

Nice.

I like the slide opening - I might make one for mine but make it so that it slides forward to open, that way the water pressure will keep it closed.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.