Show off your Adventure island mods pt1

Show off your DIY project!
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Show off your Adventure island mods pt1

Post by Franko »

Spent today rigging the AI for the upcoming trip.
I have spent a bit of time researching the best mods to do for offshore safety and convenience. First mod was to remove all the pad eyes that were not being used and weld up the holes. I also moved a ram mount for finder and replaced a Scotty mount with a railblaza.

Second was to relocate the control lines closer to me. This will create better efficiency and clutter near my feet. most of all the furling line will not be caught in the mirage drive. I used an existing platform and cleats, I brought 2 fairleads from whitworths and drilled new holes. Using a tap the fairlead were mounted to the X bar at the front to direct the lines to the new block I had made.

In front of the X cross bar was a large ram ball. Unsure the use of this but it had to go. I used 2 existing holes and mounted my sounder with the smaller ram mount removed earlier. Welded up the holes and ran the wiring with the Hobie thru hull plug. I do wish to upgrade to a striker 4 later on in the year.

3 cups holders are bliss for storage but more importantly as spoken about recently is the ability to sink. Being offshore I don't want to be I this situation. I went to bcf and bought a 32mm bung this is ample enough and the fitness snug. I had to extend the bilge pick up and used a poly pipe I found at work that fits perfectly inside the manual bilge.

I have also replaced the Mainsheet line with 6mm 300kg breaking strain weaved rope from bunnings its white so should last a little longer than black. Also adding a stainless clip which will ensure the mainsheet and sail stay connected.

When fishing an AI a common issue is battling a fish and the mainsheet, so I have added a carabeener and padeye to hold it down when the sail is furled. Will it work unsure but its also a good way to secure some items on the tramp too. I also added a hook to the paddled keeper this serves a few purposes. It can reach the mirage drive and hold the fins against the hull. I removed the convention strap because it was always in the way. It will also secure the Mainsheet down when furled and will also hold the anchored trolley Clip in place when not in use.

The previous owner designed a catch net which mounts to the aka. So I am interested to see how it keeps squid or slimys alive rather a bait tube. I picked up a longer net in blue for $7.00 it's a Meter length and expands to half a meter.

Next is mirage drive upgrades and a yacdoc detail.

Thanks for reading
Attachments
Control line management cleat block
Control line management cleat block
Emergency bung for bilge access
Emergency bung for bilge access
Ai Mainsheet  security
Ai Mainsheet security
Hook added to paddle holder
Hook added to paddle holder
Sounder relocation
Sounder relocation
Mainsheet mount
Mainsheet mount
Live bait net
Live bait net
Last edited by Franko on 22 Feb 2018, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Re: Adventure island mods pt3

Post by shane »

Some good looking mods there Frank. I particularly like the main sheet retainer and added clip.

I wouldn't bother with the keeper net. It won't allow slimies and yakkas to swim and will probably kill them before long. Better if you have a bait tube or on-board tank. I'd actually be more concerned that the holes through the amma would weaken it at that critical location, particularly if you have S/S brace shear bolts.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

shane wrote: I wouldn't bother with the keeper net. It won't allow slimies and yakkas to swim and will probably kill them before long. Better if you have a bait tube or on-board tank. I'd actually be more concerned that the holes through the amma would weaken it at that critical location, particularly if you have S/S brace shear bolts.
what Shane said - the net works ok for squid and fish if you are not sailing/moving, or just moving really slowly

Also what Shane said about the Ama - I would be tempted to pull the end off the Ama and put an ally sleeve over the section with the holes in it if possible, which I have no idea if it is.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Been busy there Frank. Dont forget to put a little leash on the that bung cap. Dont want to go loosing it in the panic of bailing. Must do this mod myself soon
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Thanks guys the pic does not show it but the net mounts are sleeved and reinforced not just holes drilled through the aka. I'll add a photo tonight. I question the integrity as he had removed the sheer bolts and the job is very neat.
I do how ever need to replace the aka pop rivets as they have movement on the end caps.
0401 314 820

cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

Slimeys are a prick to keep alive at the best of times let alone in a net. Yakkas and Salmon will probably be fine. Even better would be to sew in some rigid hoops so the net can't collapse on itself and gives the fish room to move
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

cobby wrote:Slimeys are a prick to keep alive at the best of times let alone in a net. Yakkas and Salmon will probably be fine. Even better would be to sew in some rigid hoops so the net can't collapse on itself and gives the fish room to move
Slimies are very fragile and are comparatively energetic when kept in a live-well. I expect the coarse net mesh and limited room to move will damage their scales and gills and end up killing them quickly. A bait tube is the most fool proof way of keeping them alive. In a live well slimies need a lot of oxygen so good aeration and frequent water additions are needed to keep them healthy and you typically need to limit their numbers. By comparison yakkas will stay alive all day in much worse conditions. But having good slimies at SWR is often the difference between a good day and a doughnut.
0408 565 763
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

Bait tube it is hahaha.
Squid should be ok too.
0401 314 820

mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

To keep the mainsheet out of the way while the sail is furled, I used one of the screw-in pad-eyes that are already there and added a small piece of 4mm bungee cord and a plastic-clip.

Works well...
hook1.jpg
hook3.jpg
Franko
Lord of the fish

Post by Franko »

mingle wrote:To keep the mainsheet out of the way while the sail is furled, I used one of the screw-in pad-eyes that are already there and added a small piece of 4mm bungee cord and a plastic-clip.

Works well...
hook1.jpg
hook3.jpg
I like this design also like your seat mod

Decided to change the title so we can all share what works

Has anyone changed there rivets ?
Does any one secure there front aka to stop random ejection
0401 314 820