cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Show off your DIY project!
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Post by cheaterparts »

Well the hull is stripped up and time to turn it over

so I've pull the hull off the trolley and made up a cradle to hold the kayak up the right way to strip the deck
here's a few pics sitting on my kayak trailer so you can see the basic lines of the hull

My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Stevep
Apprentice
kayak: 2monks double ocean prowler 4.1

Post by Stevep »

A thing of beauty you should be proud
Right now I am recovering from shoulder surgery so off the water until the new year
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

That looks awesome cheater! Great lines. You must be pleased.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by Widsa »

Looking fantastic mate!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Work of art.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

This is looking really good!
It might be a dumb question, but, do some the bulkheads come out...I cant quite work out the seating with them in. If they do come out, how is the top half constructed?
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

He is a contortionist, he folds himself up to the size of your average lunchbox :wtf:

Not sure how it's construction is intended but in boat building the moulds are removed after the hull is finished and bracing has been added to strengthen the hull form.

Just my 2c worth ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

greggo wrote:This is looking really good!
It might be a dumb question, but, do some the bulkheads come out...I cant quite work out the seating with them in. If they do come out, how is the top half constructed?
there are no bulkheads in it atm - what you see are the forms on a strong back , this is what is used for the mould to fit the strips up on
( if you imagine the strips covering all of these ribs that is the finished shape )
the strips are glued along the edges to each other but not to the forms -- once the deck is striped up ( which is not glued along the shear line ) the deck is lifted off and the forms can be removed --- both the hull and the deck get fibre glassed inside and out and then both are re mated and glassed together to make a big hollow shell

bulk heads then are fitted it will get one in front of my feet and one right behind the seat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

cheaterparts wrote:
greggo wrote:This is looking really good!
there are no bulkheads in it atm - what you see are the forms on a strong back , this is what is used for the mould to fit the strips up on
( if you imagine the strips covering all of these ribs that is the finished shape )
the strips are glued along the edges to each other but not to the forms -- once the deck is striped up ( which is not glued along the shear line ) the deck is lifted off and the forms can be removed --- both the hull and the deck get fibre glassed inside and out and then both are re mated and glassed together to make a big hollow shell

bulk heads then are fitted it will get one in front of my feet and one right behind the seat
Thanks for the explanation, I get it now. I didn't realize it was done in two halves (top and bottom) then joined.
So obviously the staples are pulled out once the strips have dried, releasing the shell from the form.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

greggo wrote: So obviously the staples are pulled out once the strips have dried, releasing the shell from the form.
Correct --- staples are a quick and easy way to hold strips that and tape

once the deck is done all the staples come out and the sanding up begins
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657