cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Show off your DIY project!
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Re: cheater mk 2.4 strip build

Post by erik the viking »

Now that is an impressive piece of art! Nice lines..........
Seems a shame to stick in the drink though.
Well done.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Does that mean you'll have the frame sitting around to make more kayaks?
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

4liters wrote:Does that mean you'll have the frame sitting around to make more kayaks?
sort of - the basic strong back can except the same or a new set of forms making a kayak around the same length

I got a good start on the deck today - with a bit of luck I could be ready to start sanding it up next W/E to get ready for some F/Glass

My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Can i borrow that pedestal table? Long term of course ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
greggo
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by greggo »

It's looking really good with the deck on it. :up:

Do you have to steam or heat the strips beforehand to make them flexible enough for the curves?
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Looking good Cheater. :up:

Are you going to include any detailed patterns with contrasting timber colour or just stick with the same wood throughout?
0408 565 763
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

shane wrote:Looking good Cheater. :up:

Are you going to include any detailed patterns with contrasting timber colour or just stick with the same wood throughout?
sticking with the paulownia for it's weight which is about 15 % lighter than Western Red Cedar in fact it's surprisingly light
I was going to give staining a go before glassing but will try it on some scrap first

my first thoughts were to paint the hull and clear the deck but am thinking to try the stain on the hull first --- it it fails I can go back to plan A
greggo wrote:It's looking really good with the deck on it. :up:

Do you have to steam or heat the strips beforehand to make them flexible enough for the curves?
the strips bend and twist fairly well with out any help from steam or a heat gun
as you can see you do use a bit of tape to pull the strips together but that is enough to hold them till the glue goes off
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Clear on the top will make it look awesome, you could also stain every second strip a little for that 50's style, hmm ok im dreaming again, lol.

Not sure how it will handle but im having nice images of how it will look ;)
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

the build update -- on friday and today I got the deck stripping finished - it was slow going waiting for glue to go off between strips the cold and no doubt the moisture in the air doesn't help PVA cure
while waiting I did a bit of sanding on the deck away from the slow drying glue and it does look to be coming up pretty good

any way I removed all the staples from the deck and lifted it off the forms it seamed a little flexy around the middle where I left a hole from strip ( where I had to cut out for the cockpit )
So I've now fitted the surface where the coaming goes around the cockpit this should add a bit of strength as my plan is to host that up out of the way in my shed so as to attack the hull ( sanding and glassing )

cutting a bigger hole for the coaming panel

and a few shots of the panel glued in place -- this will need the cockpit hole cut bigger and thw coaming fitted

going fishing tomorrow so the kayak build will have to wait
My kayak PBs

cheater
0402 208 657
Fish aholic
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Fish aholic »

That's looking fantastic cheater, when do you think it will be finished?