Where to get custom steel rectangular tubing cut ?

Show off your DIY project!
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: i9s, olive revo 13

Where to get custom steel rectangular tubing cut ?

Post by frappa11 »

I am looking to make a diy kayak loading bar like this

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/diy-car-loading-bar/

Basically I need buy some steel rectangular tubing (27.5mmx17.0mm, around 1.5m length or so) cut (and maybe a L section to be added to the end although thats not essential).

Any recommendations to where I can get this done around Melbourne metro ? I have been looking on the web but had a hard time finding steel rectangular tubing of this size (or maybe I am googling the wrong terms ?)
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Re: Where to get custom steel rectangular tubing cut ?

Post by cheaterparts »

frappa11 wrote:I am looking to make a diy kayak loading bar like this

Basically I need buy some steel rectangular tubing (27.5mmx17.0mm, around 1.5m length or so) cut (and maybe a L section to be added to the end although thats not essential).

Any recommendations to where I can get this done around Melbourne metro ? I have been looking on the web but had a hard time finding steel rectangular tubing of this size (or maybe I am googling the wrong terms ?)
I think you will struggle to find that size - it's not a standard size
you may find a tube supplier that does 250 grade light tube has something - I don't know who supplies chair manufacturers these days

once you would go to Hills metal in dandenong but they are long gone and I doubt that 27.5 x 15 would have been a size - it seems like some crazy Chinese size that you wouldn't see in a fit

another option worth thinking about maybe a solid aluminium bar there is probably something like a 32 x 16 or something close to the size you wont -- then just mill the bar to size where it fits into your roof rack --- just a thought
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

You may as well just get a rack and roll. It's better designed for the job than what you linked and already made to suit for around $150. Alternativly just use a side bar across the ends of the rack.
0408 565 763
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by frappa11 »

thanks i will take a look at a rack and roll maybe simpler
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by frappa11 »

Actually Cheater, how about 25mmx 15mm ? Is that a standard size ?

The guide say they found 25mmx 15mm, but closest I could find was H: 12.7mm, W: 25.4mm.
cheaterparts wrote:
frappa11 wrote:I am looking to make a diy kayak loading bar like this

I think you will struggle to find that size - it's not a standard size
you may find a tube supplier that does 250 grade light tube has something - I don't know who supplies chair manufacturers these days

once you would go to Hills metal in dandenong but they are long gone and I doubt that 27.5 x 15 would have been a size - it seems like some crazy Chinese size that you wouldn't see in a fit

another option worth thinking about maybe a solid aluminium bar there is probably something like a 32 x 16 or something close to the size you wont -- then just mill the bar to size where it fits into your roof rack --- just a thought
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Post by chunk9000 »

I made up something similar using 30mm square tube attached to my roof rack and another 25mm square tube that I slid inside when loading. Both standard sizes available off the shelf.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

The Australian standards for shs and rhs are not the same as Europe, GB being part of Europe, to make a side loader for your roofracks, you need a piece of rhs twice in lenth as the width of your yak, the size of the rhs is dependent on the weight to be supported(its all overhang, you can obtain this data from the supplier), so for agrument sake you use 32x32@1200 then you need a tag/lug (U shape piece, shs/rhs/cut in half) one 600mm from end upright the other at the end up side down, theses tags/lugs need to be bigger than the width of the cross members of your roofracks, not sure you will follow what I've said? If not pm me and i will draw a pic.

Shs=square hollow section
Rhs=rectangle hollow section
Why Europe has a different standard i dont know, there should be a wold standard set by now :roll:
What i dont get is we (Australia ) work on metric yet out sizes are set by imperial measurements pfft
Our measurements are ex or x eg: 2x4= x 2x4 = 50x90.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Try steel solutions they cut to size, however as stated the size you ask for may not be a standard size.
I think I have a rack and roll of no need anymore so PM me if interested.
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

frappa11 wrote:Actually Cheater, how about 25mmx 15mm ? Is that a standard size ?

The guide say they found 25mmx 15mm, but closest I could find was H: 12.7mm, W: 25.4mm.
if you found a 25.4 x 12.7 that wouldn't surprise me - the old 1" x 1/2 " and would be in a 250 grade steel

250 grade bends easier than say a std RHS which is 350 grade

as for 25 x 15 I doubt you will find it as it's not std size
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
frappa11
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by frappa11 »

yea i got a meter of the 25.4mm today - it actually fits inside my hollow thule square bars very well (almost flush on the width and only 1-2 mm space on the height)

Very strong on initial impression - just need a bracket on the end and I think I am set. Only cost me 6$ too