Best way to store Stealth Pro Fisha 550

Show off your DIY project!
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobbie Outback

Best way to store Stealth Pro Fisha 550

Post by aussieDave »

Hi guys,

I've just picked up the new addition to my fleet, a second hand Stealth Pro Fisha 550.
new yak reduced.jpg
Yesterday I built some trestles to keep it on, my main requirement was that I couldn't take up any more width in the garage than what I'm already taking with the Outback, I think these'll work great but I've got one question.

I haven't fixed any of the bearers yet so my question is, I can store the yak on north/south bearers (front to back) as per the following photo;
NS Bearers reduced.jpg
Or I can store it on east/west bearers (side to side) as per the following photo;
EW Bearers reduced.jpg
So which way is best?

And is there any guidelines on where I should place the bearers?

Thanks,

Dave F
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Best way to store Stealth Pro Fisha 550

Post by Reeling »

Welcome to the club :up:

I am sure Eoin our official Stealth man will confirm the best way to store.

Until such point, I store mine like you suggest in the second picture. I have put some padding on the cross bars.

Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Thanks Nath,

That's a nice set up you have there. That's a vote for east/west bearers.

It'll be great to have a truly fast yak for my offshore ventures.

Dave
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

I'm starting to feel like the odd man out these days..
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Eoin?

Is there any official Stealth guidelines?
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Congrats on the pickup Dave, good to see some of the old Fisha 550’s still kicking around. Light skis with the narrow hatch, you’ll have no trouble keeping up.
With storage racks are East - West, on newer skis with venturis in the footwells, dont have the venturis resting on the rack or just in font/behind as you don’t want to be flexing the part of the ski with the thru-hull join.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Store it on your roofracks :up: that way your reminded every morning "it's a great day to be out fishing" :yahoo:
laneends wrote:I'm starting to feel like the odd man out these days..
being out with them so many times in the last month at Portland, they are definitely fast and im definitely impressed but i honestly still think the AI might put up a good fight, seeing the AI take off trolling it's no wonder they cover the k's however i would guess the glass has better maneuverability
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Seasherpa wrote:Congrats on the pickup Dave, good to see some of the old Fisha 550’s still kicking around. Light skis with the narrow hatch, you’ll have no trouble keeping up.
With storage racks are East - West, on newer skis with venturis in the footwells, dont have the venturis resting on the rack or just in font/behind as you don’t want to be flexing the part of the ski with the thru-hull join.
Thanks Eoin,

It'll be great to start chasing Toons on a faster yak, my biggest problem this season has been although my fitness is really good maintaining 8km/h on the Outback while hunting/trolling by the time we hunt down the fish I just don't have another gear.

East/west it is.

Dave
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

peatop wrote:Store it on your roofracks :up: that way your reminded every morning "it's a great day to be out fishing" :yahoo:
laneends wrote:I'm starting to feel like the odd man out these days..
being out with them so many times in the last month at Portland, they are definitely fast and im definitely impressed but i honestly still think the AI might put up a good fight, seeing the AI take off trolling it's no wonder they cover the k's however i would guess the glass has better maneuverability
Hi PeaTop,

I used to want to take the AI road but after NSC 18 I just don't trust them any more, I'm often out on my own as the SA offshore scene is just a few of us and most are unavailable (Minny off travelling, Baggs being Baggs, Chris is always busy, I have recruited and have been training up a new guy Sam who'll fit right in) most of the time so I need reliability. I think AI's and Revos are great yaks but I need to be able to trust that nothing will go wrong. Also this was a very opportune buy at $650 with a $300 600g paddle thrown in so I couldn't go past it.

If only I could park securely I'd leave it on the roof, I'm hanging out to take it for a spin but it's windy here all week, I'm just not comfortable leaving it on the roof in the front yard in my working class suburb.

Dave
aussieDave
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by aussieDave »

Also it had old "BLADE Kayak Fishing" stickers on it that have been removed but you can still see, does anyone know anything about this club/group?

I asked Shep's son and he said these were from before Shep owned it.

It'd be great to know the full history of this ski.