New to Melbourne & Kayak Fishing!

New? Say G'Day here!
Steeeech
Apprentice
kayak: K2F Next Gen 10

New to Melbourne & Kayak Fishing!

Post by Steeeech »

Hey Guys!

Just moved form Adelaide to Cranbourne West about 5 months ago and just bought my first kayak and keen as ever to get out and spend as much spare time as possible seeing some of Melbourne's best waters.

I'm looking to start local around Warneet/Tooradin first to get the hang of things so any tips of these areas and vessel tips would be much appreciated. i do have intermediate kayaking skills it's just for the most part the places to fish.

Awesome to be here! :up:
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: New to Melbourne & Kayak Fishing!

Post by laneends »

First off seach the forum for info on the various launch spots and in particular the useable tide times for Westernport
ecoronad
The force is strong in this one
kayak: native watercraft ultimate 12

Post by ecoronad »

Local knowledge plays an important part on choosing where to fish from a kayak. With intermediate kayaking skills, you should be comfortable about how your kayak will handle and how far you can paddle. The Tooradin/Warneet channels do have reasonable tidle flows in the channel, not sure if you would be comfortable in the Next gen 10 kayak heading out from there into open water. Inside the inlets, if you fish around the last two hours of the incoming tide, you should be ok. Although the inlets are more of a nursery area (toadies, small aussie salmon, mullet, trevally and squid). Further down, towards Lang Lang and grantville it's more or less flats fishing for small gummies in about 1-2.5m of water, unless you paddle out about 1-2k towards the channel. (I wouldn't be attempting that in a 10ft kayak). Anyway, make sure you use the search engine for a heap of info on where/what to fish for. Good luck.
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Steeeech wrote:Hey Guys!

Just moved form Adelaide to Cranbourne West about 5 months ago and just bought my first kayak and keen as ever to get out and spend as much spare time as possible seeing some of Melbourne's best waters.

I'm looking to start local around Warneet/Tooradin first to get the hang of things so any tips of these areas and vessel tips would be much appreciated. i do have intermediate kayaking skills it's just for the most part the places to fish.

Awesome to be here! :up:
Welcome to both Vyak and Cranbourne West ( Cranbourne being the centre of the Universe of cause ) both Warneet and Tooradin are doable so is Blind Bight if there is water check out http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=75 it will have most if no all the info you need for Westernport launches

there are some tide flows to consider and it looks like you use a short kayak if you need to paddle into them it will be hard work - you will also need to know how to anchor safely in tide flows and more to the point getting the anchor up

really it would be worth you looking at Coronet Bay - Reef Island and Dickies Bay much lower tide flows so easier on the smaller yak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

G'day Joshua and welcome.
Some good points by the blokes above to take heed of.
Hopefully you can catch up with some of us on the forum heading out that way.
But as Cheater suggested for a smaller Yak Coronet bay on WPB is probably your safest starting point
John 3.16/17
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I've noticed no one has recommended taking a bar of soap? It's not called the mud pond for nothing :evilgrin:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steeeech
Apprentice
kayak: K2F Next Gen 10

Post by Steeeech »

awesome info guys thanks for that, Thinking of starting off around black rock/mornington areas, Flicking soft plastics and going for squid as i build up my confidence and skill set I'll venture off elsewhere.

Cheers!!
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Welcome Jushua,
Black Rock would be a great place to start around this time of year, as plenty of decent size pinkies will be in the area very soon particularly around Ricketts Point, and you don't need to go far to find them. Just outside the marine park is good.
Mornington is also a launch with plenty of possibilities in close, but keep an eye on the weather, as it can change very quickly here.
Good luck :up: