G'Day from Seaholme

New? Say G'Day here!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: G'Day from Seaholme

Post by laneends »

You are asking to get your anchor stuck around the red stick. If you dont have a sounder I would head left past the ramp and anywhere between the ramp and the creek entrance you can anchor with fewer rocks mainly sand and wed beds. Not far from a beachable landing until you feel confident enough. I caught some of my best ever flatties there.There are a lot of kayak anchors stuck around altona reefs, and trying to retreive a stuck anchor is a high tipping risk for a novice. A still flat day where you can see the bottom is even easier to anchor wisely.

Use your existing launch as long as conditions allow, with millers as an all tide alternative (try to avoid a high tide at millers especially with a southerly blow as its a bit tricky). On a cautionary point altona can be bumpy on a southerly blow.

Practise reneetering it will give you confidence, and is essential to have at least done it for safety sake. We can all fall out no matter how experienced. Falling out should be embarrassing rather than life threatening.

Have fun you will meet some good folks willing to share their knowledge. Millers is a good opportunity for "ramp talk" and gaining local knowledge
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

traj wrote:Rhino, I'm the bloke who recognised you (I have been watching your youtube videos) and said hello when I happened to notice you when you were launching your boat at Seaholme just after Christmas. I was on my bike.
I remember well John. :up:
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Rhino wrote:
traj wrote:Rhino, I'm the bloke who recognised you (I have been watching your youtube videos) and said hello when I happened to notice you when you were launching your boat at Seaholme just after Christmas. I was on my bike.
I remember well John. :up:
FWIW it's your videos also that led me to this site (plus there seems quite a few of folk here who fish the area around my side of the bay).