G'Day from Seaholme

New? Say G'Day here!
traj
kayak: Kings Kraft pedal

G'Day from Seaholme

Post by traj »

Hello everybody. Just bought myself a pedal kayak. I'm 57 years old and just need to get out of the house for some times. I have been out twice so far. I launch at the little concrete ramp on front of the Seaholme Boat Club. I walk my yak down to there from home. It's only about 500 metres. The first time was too rough for me so I just turned around after 100 metres and went back home. The second time was real flat and I went out a fair way. I hung around a post that is about 500m out. I don't think that this is what they call "the stick" because I think that is further out. Anyway lots of snags and lost tackle around here. I got a big hook up on something and my reel went spinning for quite a while. Unfortunately, my gear is too light and the fish just broke away. Nothing else after 3 hours though except that I saw some bites and teeth marks on the Gulp pumpkin seed lure I was using but no hook up.
Anyway look forward to sharing some adventures with you all.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: G'Day from Seaholme

Post by laneends »

Welcome traj. That post is most likely what is referred to as the red stick, though the colour mostly worn off. Its pretty reefy around there and you will loose tackle. Worth trying for squid though. That ramp you launch at is probably too shallow on low tide so make sure you dont get stuck trying to get back in. Lucky you having the option to wheel from home to water :mrgreen:

Try heading straight out in front of millers rd for less reef (though there is a reef between there and the pier) or to the left past the boat ramp. Without a sounder you are going to be having issues staying away from the rocks and loosing gear or worse getting an anchor stuck if you use one.

Plenty of folks would happy to show you the lay of the land around that area if you ask.
Franko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Dune AI, stealth Supalite X

Post by Franko »

x2
0401 314 820

Instagram Page Franko Fishes
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

Hi Traj, welcome aboard vyak :wave1:
Great part of the bay to be in, with one of the busiest launches on your doorstep you won't be short of a few to go fishing with :thumbsup:
traj

Post by traj »

Thanks to all for your replies and advice. Yes it is very shallow at the Altona Yacht Club ramp. Regarding Millers Road launch area, how far out would I need to go?
And is there anything preventing kayaks using the Seaholme Boat Ramp???
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

traj wrote:Thanks to all for your replies and advice. Yes it is very shallow at the Altona Yacht Club ramp. Regarding Millers Road launch area, how far out would I need to go?
How far out would you need to go for what?............... snapper, flathead, salmon etc can be caught land based there, so not far at all it that's what you mean?

Why would you want to launch at the boat ramp? Firstly, parking is at a premium. Expect a fine if parking in trailer parking areas, otherwise pay $17 if using a trailer. Millers Rd is the easiest kayak launch there is with free parking nearly always available within metres of the water. It's a no brainer.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Rhino wrote:
traj wrote:Thanks to all for your replies and advice. Yes it is very shallow at the Altona Yacht Club ramp. Regarding Millers Road launch area, how far out would I need to go?
How far out would you need to go for what?............... snapper, flathead, salmon etc can be caught land based there, so not far at all it that's what you mean?

Why would you want to launch at the boat ramp? Firstly, parking is at a premium. Expect a fine if parking in trailer parking areas, otherwise pay $17 if using a trailer. Millers Rd is the easiest kayak launch there is with free parking nearly always available within metres of the water. It's a no brainer.
traj lives across the road and wheels yak straight there without parking. probably be a pain to wheel yak to millers and probably even more silly to load up, drive 500m park and unload. generally ramps can be used as long as you dont hold any of the boats up. They can get busy so often best avoided if there is an easy alternative

Just work out what tide height can give you easy launch at boat club by comparing with this chart
http://tides.willyweather.com.au/vic/me ... ltona.html
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

laneends wrote:traj lives across the road and wheels yak straight there without parking. probably be a pain to wheel yak to millers and probably even more silly to load up, drive 500m park and unload. generally ramps can be used as long as you dont hold any of the boats up. They can get busy so often best avoided if there is an easy alternative
Not quite what I read. He walks 500m to the red shed (Seaholme boat club). It's further again to the boat ramp. Nobody lives across the road from the boat ramp.

Not exactly sure of his address in Seaholme, but it may just be a similar distance to walk to Millers Rd. Either way, the Millers Rd launch remains a no brainer.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Agreed millers is #1 yak launch in altona
traj

Post by traj »

Thanks Rhino and Laneends. I live in Sussex Street Seaholme so I wheel my yak down Sussex St, turn right into Parkside and left into Civic. I cross Beach street and walk across the park grass (Cresser I think its called) to get directly in front of the yacht club. Millers Rd launch means an increase in distance to walk with the yak of 300 metres at least both ways. I'm not ruling that out and if you experienced guys reckon that that it is worth the effort then I will definitely try that next time (at this stage tomorrow morning which is Friday 28 January. - forecast is for swell of just 0.1 m at this stage) .

Rhino, I'm the bloke who recognised you (I have been watching your youtube videos) and said hello when I happened to notice you when you were launching your boat at Seaholme just after Christmas. I was on my bike. Anyway I would be looking to catch some flathead and squid mostly and if any pinkies or snapper comes along then that would be great. At this stage I am not confident to go out more that a kilometre or so and have been anchoring around the "red stick". That is about 500m out. I am getting on in years (57) and I just need to make sure that I always have enough energy to get back and quickly if necessary). I know there are fish around there but unfortunately there are a lot of snags too. However, closer in, before the reef, I noticed that the bottom is a mix of sand and grass but it is shallow. I wonder if flathead and squid hang around there???

Thanks again for all of your comments and advice!