G'day from Gippsland

New? Say G'Day here!
Yaknewbie

G'day from Gippsland

Post by Yaknewbie »

Hello Legends, I'm Gary and I just bought an O K Prowler 13, still setting it up at this stage.. Haven't had it on the water as yet but hoping to get somewhere this weekend.. one question I have is what is the most popular float for the anchor line,? Cheers and hope to see you out there one day.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: G'day from Gippsland

Post by maverick »

Welcome Gary, nice yak and have a good read of the safety section. Most people use don't use a float on an anchor line with yaks.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Yaknewbie

Post by Yaknewbie »

Ok thanks, I was wanting to use something like a retriever dog trainer, to wrap the anchor line around then have a smaller piece of rope to attach it all to the yak by a carabiner with a grab on it for quick release if needed. Then the whole lot could be released and retrieved later.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Gary, welcome to VYak. Where abouts in Gippsland are you mate?
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

Welcome aboard :thumbsup: Cheers Babylon
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Yaknewbie wrote:Ok thanks, I was wanting to use something like a retriever dog trainer, to wrap the anchor line around then have a smaller piece of rope to attach it all to the yak by a carabiner with a grab on it for quick release if needed. Then the whole lot could be released and retrieved later.
Ok, I do that. (or similar at least) I just use a 2 litre milk container with some high viz tape around the middle of it. Just so I can dump the anchor and chase down the bigger fish, then come back and pick up the float and anchor later.

It is also a safe way to retrieve an anchor in high tidal/current flow areas like Westernport. Dump the anchor and then turn around and paddle back into the current as you retrieve the anchor. Just need to make sure the float is big enough to stop it being dragged under - or else you just have to come back at the change of tide.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Yaknewbie

Post by Yaknewbie »

G'day Digger, I'm in the Latrobe Valley, but spend a bit of time in Lakes, I have a unit there and my parents still live there.
Yaknewbie

Post by Yaknewbie »

maverick wrote:
Yaknewbie wrote:Ok thanks, I was wanting to use something like a retriever dog trainer, to wrap the anchor line around then have a smaller piece of rope to attach it all to the yak by a carabiner with a grab on it for quick release if needed. Then the whole lot could be released and retrieved later.
Ok, I do that. (or similar at least) I just use a 2 litre milk container with some high viz tape around the middle of it. Just so I can dump the anchor and chase down the bigger fish, then come back and pick up the float and anchor later.

It is also a safe way to retrieve an anchor in high tidal/current flow areas like Westernport. Dump the anchor and then turn around and paddle back into the current as you retrieve the anchor. Just need to make sure the float is big enough to stop it being dragged under - or else you just have to come back at the change of tide.

G'day and thanks Maverick, I might try the milk carton and fill it with expanding foam, I have about 80' of 6mm paracord so hoping that will be enough for starters.Might head to Welshpool alongside the old jetty this weekend.
Yaknewbie

Post by Yaknewbie »

Babylon wrote:Welcome aboard :thumbsup: Cheers Babylon
Thanks mate.