Hi all iam Andrew

New? Say G'Day here!
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Hi all iam Andrew

Post by time2fish »

Hi all i am Andrew couple people at Altona have asked if i am on vyak forum so thought ill join up haha. :thumbsup:
I have a hobie mirage revolution and a emotion mojo kayak (currently selling pm if interested) and been yaking since last season.

I seem to only fish at Altona as i never leave disappointed. (still haven't caught a snapper over 40cm). :cry:
I've always wanted to go fish down at mornington way always big snapper down that way but Altona is just 10min drive

Currently making a light setup with a 60w light bar (i am thinking this is a bit overkill?) (pm me if you know your batterys/power output).
Wanting to put a finder on soon as well. Gotta research a bit more. Went bcf and a good gps/finder will coast me $360-$400. :o

Here is a pic of my hobie and emotion if you see me at Altona holla. :yahoo:
Attachments
$_20 (8) (800x600).jpg
22117801_10156806932177468_64498193_o (800x600).jpg
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Hi all iam Andrew

Post by peatop »

Hi Andrew,
Welcome. Check out the DYI section about making your own attachments, lead lights are the go, i bought a light dongle from http://www.brightlightautoparts.com.au
Who also sell strip led light, the dongle runs at 200ma and very bright another cheaper site for led strip, https://tinyurl.com/y844nmms
Also the safety section makes for good reading, even if your a seasoned yaker.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Make sure your light is water proof in case you take a dip you dont want to find yourself in the dark with no lights.

Altona should start getting better soon and it sounds like you have the place worked out already :up:

There is big price jump once you get a GPS on your sounder. having maps comes into its own once you start fishing different areas. No so important if you just fish the same spots all the time. In the meantime you can use the navionics ap on your phone
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum. I would definitely recommend the GPS if you intend to fish at night in new locations. Great for getting you back to your starting point when all the shore is dark and looks the same. Also great for marking your favourite spots.
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by time2fish »

peatop wrote:Hi Andrew,
Welcome. Check out the DYI section about making your own attachments, lead lights are the go, i bought a light dongle from http://www.brightlightautoparts.com.au
Who also sell strip led light, the dongle runs at 200ma and very bright another cheaper site for led strip, https://tinyurl.com/y844nmms
Also the safety section makes for good reading, even if your a seasoned yaker.
thanks. yeah everyone is saying to buy these led lights ebay have cheap ones aswell. i have already purchased a light bar 60w i just want to know if it will last more then 4 hours with my 8ah deep cylce battery thanks for the links aswell.
laneends wrote:Make sure your light is water proof in case you take a dip you dont want to find yourself in the dark with no lights.

Altona should start getting better soon and it sounds like you have the place worked out already :up:

There is big price jump once you get a GPS on your sounder. having maps comes into its own once you start fishing different areas. No so important if you just fish the same spots all the time. In the meantime you can use the navionics ap on your phone
yeah the light bar i got is water proof
yeah got my way around altona can get rocky/snaggy in some parts.
yes i agree put there was a unit that had points only not full gps which was cheaper ..(dont need full gps on a yak not going to peddel to brighton lol) its more to put points/want to save for favouritve/hot spots.
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by time2fish »

outback paul wrote:Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum. I would definitely recommend the GPS if you intend to fish at night in new locations. Great for getting you back to your starting point when all the shore is dark and looks the same. Also great for marking your favourite spots.
thanks.. thats a good point as i was out last night and me and my mate couldnt see where the ramp was took us only 5 min to find but yes good point .
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

thanks.. thats a good point as i was out last night and me and my mate couldnt see where the ramp was took us only 5 min to find but yes good point .[/quote]

Wait till you get caught in the fog..
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

A 60 watt light will draw 5A if i remember my electronics (60÷12) most small batteries have a 20 hr discharge rate but also have a 10 hr as well this increases the amount of available power but it's usually not 200% of the 20 hr discharge, the calculation for discharge is 8÷20=0.4A, 400 mA, i would think about the led light options if your thinking about adding more electronics at a later date, with your 60w light you may find it will start to dim at some early point.
One of those sites i mentiond before has led light dongles, bars, and strips. You could give them a call and ask the power consumption of all items and the strip lights per globe or per say 100mm then work it out from there, some of the lights made in the DYI section are just the strip leds wrapped around pvc pipe/tube.
When selecting your purchase/s make sure you order waterproof :thumbsup:
Power(P) = Voltage(V) x Current(I) transpoded (P) ÷ (V) = (I) power being measured in watts
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger

Post by time2fish »

peatop wrote:A 60 watt light will draw 5A if i remember my electronics (60÷12) most small batteries have a 20 hr discharge rate but also have a 10 hr as well this increases the amount of available power but it's usually not 200% of the 20 hr discharge, the calculation for discharge is 8÷20=0.4A, 400 mA, i would think about the led light options if your thinking about adding more electronics at a later date, with your 60w light you may find it will start to dim at some early point.
One of those sites i mentiond before has led light dongles, bars, and strips. You could give them a call and ask the power consumption of all items and the strip lights per globe or per say 100mm then work it out from there, some of the lights made in the DYI section are just the strip leds wrapped around pvc pipe/tube.
When selecting your purchase/s make sure you order waterproof :thumbsup:
Power(P) = Voltage(V) x Current(I) transpoded (P) ÷ (V) = (I) power being measured in watts
oh yeah thats what i wanted to know, thats ok if it dims as long it can last a full 3-4 hours max i will be happy ... yeah ive looked up the led strips on ebay and other sites i just thought a led bar would be better quality, waterproof and just better overall. thanks for the helpfull input. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Welcome Andrew.

If you're running a 60W LED off a 12v 8Ah battery then it should last approximately 1.6 hours. ie 60W/12v=5A. 8Ah/5A=1.6 hours. Sounds like a type of light you don't want to run continuously. You could consider running another permanent light and just switching the bigger light on when you need to see well (navigating tight spots or when landing a fish).

All-round white lights are better made using LED strips to create a tall vertical light that stands out from point sources. The power consumption of LED strips depends on the type of LED and the length. For example a common 5050 LED strip with LED spaced at 30/m will consume around 0.6 Amps. One meter of this (which is heaps) will last around 13 hours on an 8Ah battery. Leave a bit of leeway as batteries often don't charge or discharge to their full rating. Also get some quality waterproof connectors, switches and a fuse and seal all joins up with shrink wrap and seal waterproof.
0408 565 763