Hi from the Peninsula

New? Say G'Day here!
djillusions24
Apprentice
kayak: JetOcean

Hi from the Peninsula

Post by djillusions24 »

Hey!

I've recently got started with Kayak Fishing after a lengthy consideration and its great, mostly just been floating around the Hastings area but lookig to head to a few other places including Devils Bend Reservoir.

I spend quite a bit of time on the water as the Commander of the Westernport Coast Guard unit based in Hastings, I've seen it all out there but fortunately never had to rescue any kayakers which is great.

Alongside the above, I also administer the Coast Guard SafeTrx smart phone app for tracking vessels at sea and raising the alarm should people get into trouble out there - I am happy to answer any questions regarding the app, its a great additional safety item given most people have their phones with them on the water. Happy to start a new thread to discuss if people have enough questions.

Cheers!
choppers
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: prowler elite 4.5

Re: Hi from the Peninsula

Post by choppers »

Welcome mate.
Good to have guys in the search rescue departments joining this site and adding to the collective info available

Enjoy the site and kayaking
"Ye old town" Yak captures - gummy (116) salmon (32) flatty (35) yakka (28) silver trev (25) couta (38) plus all the garbage fish

Prowler victims - squid (30cm) Gar (36) Snapper (80 :yahoo: ) kgw (39)
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

djillusions24 wrote: I spend quite a bit of time on the water as the Commander of the Westernport Coast Guard unit based in Hastings, I've seen it all out there but fortunately never had to rescue any kayakers which is great.

Cheers!
Now there's a good idea boys.
Hit Jeremy here for a quick tow out to the tuna. :yahoo:
Oh, and maybe a tow back would be handy.
I guess the payment won't be slabs of beer.
Just some sashimi!

Oh, sorry Jeremy. Welcome to VYAK. :up:
I hope you enjoy the fishing at water level.
djillusions24
Apprentice

Post by djillusions24 »

haha nice one - thats the jet ski trick, ride the damn thing as far as you can then get the Coast Guard to tow you back in!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Have a scan through the safety section and see if there is anything you think might be worth adding. You might even learn something from this side of the fence.. :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Welcome Jeremy,
Bet you could tell us some stories, enjoy yourself and join in the fun :up:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Welcome aboard Jeremy, you’ve stumbled across a great community here :up:
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum, Devil Bend is pretty hit and miss, but pretty. Not a huge fishing area. Looking forward to your safety input.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to Vyak.
The coast guard smartphone app looks interesting.
I haven't used apps like that in the past due to poor battery capacity on my phone.
Some Vyakers use Epirbs or PLBs and there are quite a few discussions about the pros and cons on this forum
It would be good to start a thread for the Coastguard app on Vyak and get Vyakers opinions on it.

PS Which yak did you get - The one with the integral seat & cart looks interesting.

See you on the water one day.

Rob.
djillusions24
Apprentice

Post by djillusions24 »

Jacko wrote:Hi Jeremy,

Some Vyakers use Epirbs or PLBs and there are quite a few discussions about the pros and cons on this forum

Rob.
Thanks Rob! Yeah, I am of the opinion that you can never have enough gear to be safe. EPIRB are great but obviously a bit bulky for a Kayak, PLB are a great option particuarly for inshore or enclosed waters. Coast Guard have fixed EPIRB on all our vessels and PLB in all crew life jackets. You can pick up a decent quality PLB now for around $100 - thing will last 5 or so years so its a great investment.

I've just got the JetOcean 3mt to get started, test the waters before sinking more cash, I built my own wheels with some PVC pipe pretty inexpensive and has the integrated seat which isnt too bad...