Hi Westies!

New? Say G'Day here!
smokin_reels
Apprentice
kayak: Dagger Drifter, Hobie Outback

Hi Westies!

Post by smokin_reels »

Hey there!
Ive been on this forum for a while now, and have put up a report of two.
small backstory,'
Ive got an OB 2015 that is my pride and joy. I mostly fish the nong and estuary systems on weekends away.

Mazman recently got me onto the squid and Blairgowrie, a form of fishing I had never tried before.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Would love to network with anyone fishing out of the Altona area , just looking to get some direction, experience and advice.
Still a little hesitant about venturing out into the sea alone.

:)

Cheers!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Re: Hi Westies!

Post by Tim399 »

Hi smokin, you have picked to right time to spark an interest in the Altona area with the snapper very close. Vyakkers inhabit the area frequently in the snapper season, I will be doing after work sessions when the weather plays ball along with weekend sessions. I haven’t mastered snapper, the guys I fish there with have a good idea though. You will be more than welcome to join us when it all fires up :up:
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

G'Day Aaron, as Tim said, Miller's Rd is the Ricketts of the West side during snapper season (but without the overpriced parking :lol: )
It will pick up over the next few weeks and by the end of October most days you head down there will be someone else out.
If you see the car parked at the ramp I'll be on the water somewhere feel free to come join me.
time2fish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2018 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Post by time2fish »

yeah as above.. altona is packed during snapper season was awesome last year. just introduce ya self when there or go out and follow a couple yaks
smokin_reels
Apprentice

Post by smokin_reels »

Awesome Guys! Will keep an eye out for you , if you see a red OB with tangled lines across the board , its probably me :yahoo:
Will be out of town for the first three weeks of October, but will start being more active when I return.

I have heard only good things about this Forum, eager to be a part of the madness :D
I have the same username of Fishing Victoria, some of you may know me from there. made some good friends off there and hope to do the same here! :thumbsup:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.
smokin_reels
Apprentice

Post by smokin_reels »

Where do you guys usually launch from? Never been down that way.
smokin_reels
Apprentice

Post by smokin_reels »

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=10

found that, seems to be everyones preferred spot
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

Most people tend to launch at the ramp access at the end of millers road, there’s a photo of it in that thread you highlighted. You can park on the street right in front of the ramp which makes for a really easy launch. Squid and snapper in that area and you don’t have to travel far out either. . Or apex park at the west end of the esplanade holds plenty of flathead, squid and I’ve also seen some whiting there :up:
smokin_reels
Apprentice

Post by smokin_reels »

Looking good for a Sunday morning session at this stage, anyone else planning to get out? :evilgrin:
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

Hammertym and myself are watching the forecast, if it looks doable the day before we will post up if we are going :evilgrin: