New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Completely off topic!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Post by laneends »

Wait till someone rear ends someone who hits the brakes hard at last minute suddenly remembering the new rule. How safe will you feel when you se lights and you know there is a semi up your clacker?

The incentive for the cops, pull some random over for speeding and clock a dozen more while you are at it.
Joshua
The force is strong in this one
kayak: 2011 Red AI - 2014 Dune Outback

Post by Joshua »

laneends wrote:Wait till someone rear ends someone who hits the brakes hard at last minute suddenly remembering the new rule. How safe will you feel when you se lights and you know there is a semi up your clacker?

The incentive for the cops, pull some random over for speeding and clock a dozen more while you are at it.
Pretty sure the incentive for cops is to not die...

seems like a few of the lads in this thread spend all their time in the yak and none on the road.
Best catch - Stingray on a hard-body
cotso
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by cotso »

Joshua wrote:As someone who actually spends a significant amount of time on the side of the roadway with emergency lights, this change could not have come sooner. People have died roadside, and literally hundreds seriously injured. The main issue is some people slow, and others do not. So the rubber neckers were causing accidents, as the person behind doesn't pay attention and swerves or emergency breaks last second to avoid the slow car in front who is gawking. If everyone slows to 40, this risk will be mitigated.

People need to stop thinking freeways, it's the streets and major roads that this is an issue. 60-80kmh zones, especially where there is no median strip.

My 2 cents anyway.
So is there a difference in rubber necks slowing and causing accidents to hawk and people slowing because it's law. Seems the same to me and will cause accidents also. Plus I ride a motorcycle and hate the thought of slowing and someone tailending me. Just m2c
BAYSIDE WOOD TURNING & SELF STORAGE. New 20 foot vented shipping containers, CCTV security.24/7 access, your own main gate code and your lock. $200 per month. Ph 5981-8411
l2andom
Square eyes
kayak: Adventure Island, WildySys T140, Outback

Post by l2andom »

I'm originally from the states and after moving to Australia I actually still do what was normal in the state I lived in (Wisconsin), which was to either slow down or change lanes. I don't think the speed reduction was as drastic and I can't recall if there was a set speed limit to slow down to, but I always dropped it from 65mph to 50mph, or changed lanes. I still do it here in Australia even though I don't think it's the normal thing to do as my wife has mentioned it to me before that I didn't have to. But if it helps with the safety of emergency workers and first responders, it's worth it. The roads in the states are a bit different though, and probably a bit bigger both in number of lanes and size in general.