New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Completely off topic!
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Re: New Overtaking Emergency Road Rule 1 July

Post by Yako »

Also from tomorrow bike riders can share bus lanes.
Talking on mobile while cycling (holding the phone) will mean a fine also.
John 3.16/17
bunyip
Square eyes
kayak: Prowler 13 and Cole 23 floating bordello

Post by bunyip »

Maybe they can introduce a fine for pedestrians too, I have had a number of collisions in the city when they walk into you, the suburbs are marginally better.
They are also a hazard in school zones with students walking into traffic without looking.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

Seems at least one professional driver didn't get the message about the new law (or didn't pay attention to it) ...

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4765 ... ntroduced/
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

chrisw wrote:Seems at least one professional driver didn't get the message about the new law (or didn't pay attention to it) ...

The issue with this incident/article doesn't clearly explain the distance between the car & the truck that hit it & it doesn't say if the car driver suddenly jumped on the brakes but the truck being bigger couldn't slow down in time. Did the car change lanes into the trucks lane, see the flashing lights and braked suddenly not giving the truck enough space???
Conditions too, was it wet & slippery & the photo looks like an obscured bend so in reality the police should have deployed a warning/hazard beacon 50-100m before to warn motorists (like they do in USA).
It's a good idea to slow down but I do believe police etc must use common sense to warn motorists especially in restricted visibility etc
John 3.16/17
Brett
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Kingfisher

Post by Brett »

Yako wrote:
chrisw wrote:Seems at least one professional driver didn't get the message about the new law (or didn't pay attention to it) ...

The issue with this incident/article doesn't clearly explain the distance between the car & the truck that hit it & it doesn't say if the car driver suddenly jumped on the brakes but the truck being bigger couldn't slow down in time. Did the car change lanes into the trucks lane, see the flashing lights and braked suddenly not giving the truck enough space???
Conditions too, was it wet & slippery & the photo looks like an obscured bend so in reality the police should have deployed a warning/hazard beacon 50-100m before to warn motorists (like they do in USA).
It's a good idea to slow down but I do believe police etc must use common sense to warn motorists especially in restricted visibility etc

I agree.

We headed up the Hume yesterday, wet conditions, but not terrible. Cruising on the limit, I overtake a B Double, come round the next right hand sweeping bend to find a divvy van on the inside barrier, lights on and 2 members over the barrier checking on some sort of load that had come off a truck.
I had no time to slow down, without causing a huge mess, the B Double had no time to slow down had I hit the brakes. So we all just cruised past at 110km/hr in the left lane. There really was nothing else that could've been done.
I think it's scenarios like this that are going to cause issues.
Any other time I would slow down and move to the opposite lane to leave plenty of room.

I also noted that the truckies where on the ball about this rule and if someone mentioned an accident or similar(which we had to pass on the way home), they reminded each other over the uhf about having to drop to 40km to pass.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Overtaking s semi, at 110km/h, on a sweeping bend, in the wet... :roll:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

mingle wrote:Overtaking s semi, at 110km/h, on a sweeping bend, in the wet... :roll:
Maybe you need to read what he said again....didn't say he passed on a sweeping bend. Came to the NEXT sweeping bend after he'd passed the B double. :roll:
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Brett
kayak: Kingfisher

Post by Brett »

mingle wrote:Overtaking s semi, at 110km/h, on a sweeping bend, in the wet... :roll:

So I have to treat a dual freeway as a single lane road :roll:

I had completed the overtake and had moved back infront of the bdouble. the point being that if I hit the brakes and pulled up to 40km/hr, the truck would have nailed me straight up the rear, or he would have moved to the right hand lane and probably taken out the divvy van.
makro
kayak: Native Slayer Propel 10

Post by makro »

Yako wrote:Nanny state ramping it up another notch - pass the wet wipes.
From 1 July if an emergency vehicle has slowed or stopped with flashing lights you have to slow to 40Kmh even if doing 110 up the Hume or heading Gippy way. More revenue raising too I presume???
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... y-vehicles
I think RACV explains it easier.
https://www.racv.com.au/membership/memb ... ency-.html
This exact thing happened to us yesterday. Driving back from Ballarat, on a straight section, in the distance we could see a divi-van by the side of the road with lights flashing, the car in the next lane and we slow down to 40km/hr from 110, nice even braking as we had plenty of notice, but d*ckhead behind me decides to honk aggressively!! :evil: :evil:, .... wish the cops would pull him/her aside to have a chat, no such luck unfortunately!!!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

makro wrote:
Yako wrote:Nanny state ramping it up another notch - pass the wet wipes.
From 1 July if an emergency vehicle has slowed or stopped with flashing lights you have to slow to 40Kmh even if doing 110 up the Hume or heading Gippy way. More revenue raising too I presume???
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... y-vehicles
I think RACV explains it easier.
https://www.racv.com.au/membership/memb ... ency-.html
This exact thing happened to us yesterday. Driving back from Ballarat, on a straight section, in the distance we could see a divi-van by the side of the road with lights flashing, the car in the next lane and we slow down to 40km/hr from 110, nice even braking as we had plenty of notice, but d*ckhead behind me decides to honk aggressively!! :evil: :evil:, .... wish the cops would pull him/her aside to have a chat, no such luck unfortunately!!!
My wife told me she also got abused when following the new rule. At this stage I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt that these abusers don't yet know about the new rule :roll: