Completely off topic!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Fish Tanks

Post by maverick »

Anyone else on here keep fish at home? My setup:
20170711_180144.jpg
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Brett
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Kingfisher

Re: Fish Tanks

Post by Brett »

Mines been sitting in the shed :( but now we are moving, I have enough room to set it up again. Can't wait, but will probably forget about pics and posting, by the time it's going again. Hahaha
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Sure do mav. Your setup looks good, I really like the silver sharks when they get big.

This is my current set up, still needs to mature and I'm waiting for some stronger lights to finally arrive. Then I'll start adding more light demanding plants. For some reason I keep getting odd algae fluctuations and lose single fish but I'm starting to get on top of it. Once I up the lighting and things settle down I can get my co2 injection going again :D

4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

I've got a 3' tank with a blackfish and a bunch of native water plants. It used to have some white cloud minnows and a couple of goldfish as well but they all got eaten lol

I saw a 6' tank going cheap on gumtree and was very tempted, I'd love to have a big community tank with a bunch of smelt, galaxias and pygmy perch as well as a collection of plants native to this side of the dividing range.
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

That blackfish is cool Ian, I used to have a Murray cod when I was a teenager, and feeding time was so impressive watching it stalk the unsuspecting feeder fish around the timber.
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Tim399 wrote:That blackfish is cool Ian, I used to have a Murray cod when I was a teenager, and feeding time was so impressive watching it stalk the unsuspecting feeder fish around the timber.
Yeah, he's even more impressive at night. When you see his face up close you can see just how many little pores and sensors he's got in addition to the lateral line for detecting hiding fish in low light and he'll just zero in on a fish I can barely make out in the darkness. He'll also come out of his cave when I get home, press his nose up to the glass and beg for food which is cute as F^*K
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

I've been into my aquariums for 15-20 years but in the last year have lost interest. I have 3 4ft aquariums (including one custom built and stack on top of each other). setup to keep African Cichlids.

All 3 of my tanks are now empty and I've been meaning to sell.
westy
Lord of the fish
kayak: hobie compass and adventure island

Post by westy »

Very nice guys, l had fish for years, but not at the moment, bred amazon discus fish, very interesting.
chrisw
Square eyes
kayak: Dune PA14

Post by chrisw »

I have two; one 60L and one 240L, both freshwater with live plants. Neither competes particularly well in terms of scaping with the nice examples above, this is something I need to work on.

The 60 was bought new and originally sat in my office.
DSCN0133.jpg
The 240 was a second-hand one found via eBay, I've since replaced just about everything other than the tank itself.
DSCN0480.jpg
Since I got the 240 I moved the 60 down with it.
DSCN0827.jpg
It's running two cannister filters now, the original and an additional one I got as the original had a bypass issue (though it still works well enough I kept it running). I also have CO2 and a powerhead.

I really want to get rid of this 240 as the top bracing is quite annoying. I've love to go to low-iron glass such as starphire but the cost in the size I'd need is fairly high.

The stand you see is in our front entrance and was a feature I designed into the house before it was built around 20 years ago. I wanted a large (1500L) marine tank as a feature so included a brick stand with power, water and drainage inside it based on a recommendation given to me by a aquarium store. The slab underneath the stand was reinforced so as to be able to handle an additional 2 tonnes.

Unfortunately it turned out the design advice was not too good as the suggested reinforcement within the tank left insufficient room and access for the needed equipment and I shelved the idea for years. I still want to put a large tank there but it will probably be freshwater with a lower total height and I'll need to gut the stand (meaning removing much of the the internal brickwork and changing the front to have a much larger single door rather than three small ones). As it is I had to remove the frame of the middle door to be able to fit the second cannister filter inside.
Tim399
Lord of the fish

Post by Tim399 »

It's a bummer the design didn't allow for the equipment in your entry chris, but with a lot of effort re building that stand it would look awesome to see a big healthy tank as you enter the house :up: I had thaught about setting up a temperate marine tank about 15 years ago, but would have needed to run a more expensive (back then) chiller to keep temps down in summer. A marine tank of our local fish and critters would be pretty cool