Life in the bay

Completely off topic!
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Life in the bay

Post by laneends »

Went for a paddle yesterday apex to campbells and back. Between Skeleton creek and RAAF reef there were masses of bait fish everywhere. Not just small bait balls. It was similar a few days ago when passing through the area. Just inside and outside marine reserve.

Some guys in a boat towing a net, probably gathering bait fish, called me over and handed me a bag of fish which was probably a bycatch. Half a dozen pinkies and a small just legal gummy. Dont normally take hand out fish but freezers empty and a feeds a feed.

I also had the closest encounter yet with a pod of dolphins who grouped around me swimming within almost touching distance and directly below me for at least half an hour matching my speed and direction change the whole time. Went from WOW to WTF (Hitchcock moment). Didn't break off contact until I went into 1m water over the reef, then picked me up on the otherside. Would have made great gopro footage, with lots of tail slapping.

Had a lot of dolphin encounters before but this is the first time I have been deliberately ghosted by them
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Re: Life in the bay

Post by Reeling »

Sounds great Keith! Yet to encounter any wildlife other than the odd gull haha.

Interesting about the amount of bait fish you saw.
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

laneends wrote:
Some guys in a boat towing a net, probably gathering bait fish, called me over and handed me a bag of fish which was probably a bycatch.
I assume you are talking about a pro boat?
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Rhino wrote:
laneends wrote:
Some guys in a boat towing a net, probably gathering bait fish, called me over and handed me a bag of fish which was probably a bycatch.
I assume you are talking about a pro boat?
TBH dont know, and it was only a small net,or at least a string of bouys, and average size boat, it was a bit of a mystery. No fishing rods, but some crates that looked like fish storage boxes. wasn't a big boat.
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Hey Keith you've been eating up the kms lately, sounds like we'll be seeing you OS in the near future. Be warned though... I was tidying up some tackle the other day and I had to have a bit of a laugh at myself because I've got more gear for OS than for anything else yet I've hardly caught any fish! :lol:

A bit over a week ago when I was at WS I had a look around Point Cook as well and there's literally acres of bait, the flatties I caught were stuffed to the gills with whitebait.
laneends
Vyak Addict

Post by laneends »

Smish wrote:Hey Keith you've been eating up the kms lately, sounds like we'll be seeing you OS in the near future. Be warned though... I was tidying up some tackle the other day and I had to have a bit of a laugh at myself because I've got more gear for OS than for anything else yet I've hardly caught any fish! :lol:
Its really only because I cant get enough time away to drive the distance to justify many OS trips and hence the extra gear that prevents me "tooling up" for OS. If I could readily get to Portland or SWR for a few days etc then I would make the effort.