Unexpected break from fishing, bad timing Doh.

Completely off topic!
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Unexpected break from fishing, bad timing Doh.

Post by maverick »

Right at the start of Snapper season and I have to put the yak away for a few weeks (hopefully that is all).

I was diagnosed with a dodgy heart valve 5 years ago (no apparent reason for it) Managed to get through this long but now the heart is being affected and the valve has to be repaired. Good news, even though it is open heart surgery they are using a new technique which doesn't involve splitting the chest, but going in from the side. Ideally they can repair the valve and not have to replace it, which has a whole lot of other issues I would prefer to avoid. All the arteries are perfect and the other systems are A.O.K.

I have one of the top Heart Valve Repair surgeons in Vic looking after me. :thumbsup:

Heading into Cabrini Hospital in Malvern on Tuesday afternoon, being operated on Wednesday morning. 3 - 6 hours and then ICU for a couple of days. They have to turn me off for a couple of hours during the operation and hopefully there is enough juice left in the engine to re-start. Although a healthy life insurance payout for the wife if I don't :lol: and a heap of cheap fishing gear & yaks will be coming up for sale.

It appears long distance kayak pedaling was not a great thing. Doh.

So one of the things I did when I was told about the operation was to go and see a highly recommended and highly experienced Naturopath, to try and get me in the best position possible to recover quickly. So we tweaked my diet a little, gave up (almost) alcohol and started drinking 3 litres of water a day. All I can say is drinking 3 litres of water a day is now easy and it is amazing how good I feel to a 6 weeks ago, so I encourage everyone to drink more water. The things it can help you body do/repair is surprising.

Hopefully I give someone a update on Thursday for those that are interested.

Someone will need to trim the Goat Track in my absence.....
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Unexpected break from fishing, bad timing Doh.

Post by laneends »

Sorry to hear that Pete, all the best for a successful operation and a speedy recovery..
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Post by mingle »

Good luck Mav - you seem to be taking it all in stride (I'd be having a heart-attack - so to speak!)

There should still be plenty of fish left for you when you get back on the water

Cheers,

Mike.
Fish Grylls
Square eyes
kayak: hobie revo

Post by Fish Grylls »

Best of luck Mav. In context the snapper season is fairly insignificant - just make sure you are right for SWR :lol: . Is it a heart stent being replaced
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

All the best for a speedy recovery Mav. :up:

Your spot in the team for NSC18 will be waiting for you and an other marlin at SWR after that. :evilgrin:
0408 565 763
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Post by wokka1 »

All the best for a fast recovery Mav.
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
erik the viking
Square eyes
kayak: 2015 Outback

Post by erik the viking »

Right at the start of Snapper season and I have to put the yak away for a few weeks (hopefully that is all).

I was diagnosed with a dodgy heart valve 5 years ago (no apparent reason for it) Managed to get through this long but now the heart is being affected and the valve has to be repaired. Good news, even though it is open heart surgery they are using a new technique which doesn't involve splitting the chest, but going in from the side. Ideally they can repair the valve and not have to replace it, which has a whole lot of other issues I would prefer to avoid. All the arteries are perfect and the other systems are A.O.K.

Bugger. I'm just getting better and you take the easy option. Cop Out!
Come on Mav. Really? They're just rocks man, come on.................

We all wish you the very best for your forthcoming op., and we'll see you soon out at the 'farm'.
Yep, we'll leave you a few anyway............... ( 31's only) :yahoo:
Good luck to you Mav.
Seasherpa
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Lots of composite ones

Post by Seasherpa »

All the best for a speedy recovery Mav, just charging the batteries for next year's pelagic season :thumbsup:
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

Good luck and all the best mav
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

Best wishes Mav, for a successful procedure, and a speedy recovery in time to tackle the best of the reds!