International Flights?

Completely off topic!
chunk9000
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Pro Fisha 525

Re: International Flights?

Post by chunk9000 »

Many years ago, I flew to the UK with Japan Airlines (JAL). My travel agent booked me on a flight that didn't have a direct connection from Japan (on purpose) so JAL put me up in a hotel for the night. This was many years ago but I'll be looking into it next time I fly to the UK/Europe. Their food and service was very good!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Reeling wrote:
Digger wrote:
Steve_R wrote:$600 for a little less discomfort does seem a bit steep.

You know this but for the benefit of others, my son suffered a bout of economy class syndrome (DVT) on a trip to SE Asia in his early 20s. I witnessed a couple of people die from it (saw them fall and fail attempts to resuscitate). So, before you go search the web for 'economy class syndrome', paying attention to recommendations to avoid it. Restrict search results to something recent so recommendations are up-to-date. If possible favour .gov and .edu site results over .com (for reasons I am sure most know).

I’ve spoken to my GP and he’s going to give me a couple of injections to take with me, one before each long leg of the flight. Says it takes away the risk of DVT.
Doesnt plain ole Asprin act as a blood thinning agent and reduce the risk? That's if you can take Asprin
Yeah but not a good idea if you suffer from ulcers.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

bunyip wrote:I don't think I am game to consider going with Malaysian.
Never tried Singapore but have flown Emirates which was good.
I used to be aircrew with the RAAF and we offered excellent inflight service on Caribous (sit down, shut up, hang on).
We are also heading to the UK around July and are looking for a deal.
Ah so you were an air hostess with RAAF airlines? Were the high heels hard to wear in those aircraft? :lol:
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

Singapore Airlines get my vote of approval

but

You only live once Digger.
Spend your kids inheritance on first class or business class tickets or one of those sleeper seats that QANTAS have on the airbus ! :lol:
Yako
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA 14, A.I, Revo16 & 4.1 Ocean Kayak

Post by Yako »

If you are concerned about DVT you can reduce the risk by doing 2 things (not involving meds):
1: Get up and walk about for blood circulation (It's not good to sit for long periods fishing, at work, watching TV etc).
2: Get some compression stockings (speak to a clued up GP or experienced DIV1 Nurse).
Also make sure you drink enough water for hydration (plus it will force you to go to the loo :lol: ).

Singapore airlines are good :up:
Stay away from Cathay Pacific (although from Melb to HK is good but when you switch planes :down:) Will never use them again.
Air Malaysia was good but now :down:
Qantas is good but overpriced
John 3.16/17
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Post by outback paul »

I'd definitely recommend the compression stockings (as suggested by Yako) for long haul flights, it also greatly reduces the twitchyness you get in your legs when sitting for long periods.
I fly to London each June/July to visit my family, and only just a few weeks ago had a very pleasant journey with Cathay Pacific (which would only work if you stopped off in HK). It's also worth checking the baggage allowance, as all airlines are NOT equal. Cathay allows 30kg in 1 or 2 cases, but a lot only allow 1 case of 23kg. In the past few years I've also flown Qatar, Royal Brunei & Malaysian, and in terms of food, service and leg room they are all pretty similar. Might see you at the airport mate!!
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

outback paul wrote:I'd definitely recommend the compression stockings (as suggested by Yako) for long haul flights, it also greatly reduces the twitchyness you get in your legs when sitting for long periods.
I fly to London each June/July to visit my family, and only just a few weeks ago had a very pleasant journey with Cathay Pacific (which would only work if you stopped off in HK). It's also worth checking the baggage allowance, as all airlines are NOT equal. Cathay allows 30kg in 1 or 2 cases, but a lot only allow 1 case of 23kg. In the past few years I've also flown Qatar, Royal Brunei & Malaysian, and in terms of food, service and leg room they are all pretty similar. Might see you at the airport mate!!
Thanks for that Paul and I hope we do catch up...Grin~

I’ll be the oldest bloke around...grin~
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Yako wrote:If you are concerned about DVT you can reduce the risk by doing 2 things (not involving meds):
1: Get up and walk about for blood circulation (It's not good to sit for long periods fishing, at work, watching TV etc).
2: Get some compression stockings (speak to a clued up GP or experienced DIV1 Nurse).
Also make sure you drink enough water for hydration (plus it will force you to go to the loo :lol: ).

Singapore airlines are good :up:
Stay away from Cathay Pacific (although from Melb to HK is good but when you switch planes :down:) Will never use them again.
Air Malaysia was good but now :down:
Qantas is good but overpriced
Thanks for that Rich and QANTAS is overpriced indeed and we won’t be going that way I can assure you.

I went to NZ for business a few years ago and flew with Air NZ one way, QANTAS the other. Air NZ killed them!

You have me considering the stockings now thanks and others too that mentioned them, the water is a no brainer as is the walking. I’ve never been good at walking around an aircraft but I’m going to have to change in this case I think. A lot depends on where you get to sit I guess? I’ll be playing the “Old disabled soldier” bit for all it’s worth to try and get a better position in the plane if I can.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Jacko wrote:Singapore Airlines get my vote of approval

but

You only live once Digger.
Spend your kids inheritance on first class or business class tickets or one of those sleeper seats that QANTAS have on the airbus ! :lol:
Jeez Jacko I already am spending their inheritance now mate and to be honest I’d rather have the extra money to spend in Pommy Land when we get there.

It’s just that there is such disparity in the prices when you move up from Economy seating! The premium seats are almost 2 1/2 times economy on Singapore and that is supposed to be a special.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

peatop wrote:
bunyip wrote:I don't think I am game to consider going with Malaysian.
Never tried Singapore but have flown Emirates which was good.
I used to be aircrew with the RAAF and we offered excellent inflight service on Caribous (sit down, shut up, hang on).
We are also heading to the UK around July and are looking for a deal.
Ah so you were an air hostess with RAAF airlines? Were the high heels hard to wear in those aircraft? :lol:
I think I saw him once on one of the flights in country and he was very popular with the troops~

If he’d shaved his legs it would have looked much better with the nylons and high heels....grin~