Stereo Headphones?

Completely off topic!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Stereo Headphones?

Post by Digger »

Magpie_Mick wrote:Bose QC’s (quiet comfort) for me too. Very comfortable, wear all day on a flight (or in the office for some peace and quiet).
Bose is certainly a good name in sound.

I’ll have a llok thanks Mick.
Magpie_Mick
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Thresher 140

Post by Magpie_Mick »

Bose QC's can be used on BT or with a cable.
stevebrown
Apprentice
kayak: Barracuda

Post by stevebrown »

makro
kayak: Native Slayer Propel 10

Post by makro »

Hi Digger,

I did a lot of research around BTNC (Blue tooth Noise cancelling) headphones last year and here is my 2 cents and entirely my opinion. I am not affiliated with any of the brands below

I was looking the mid range Sennheiser and the top end (IMHO) Sony or Bose

Sennheiser-hd-4.50-btnc (I paid about 280 AUD on sale)
Reviews
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/07/senn ... an-review/
https://www.cnet.com/products/sennheise ... ss/review/

Pros: IMHO Good for the price. The ear cushions are good, the noise cancelling is not too bad and not so overpowering that you feel nauseous. I wear glasses and it isnt too hard so as to hurt as it presses on the spectacle arms. It comes with a cable to plug in
Cons: When using it to making calls, it picks up too much of the background noise and it can sound noisy for the other person. Ears could get a little hot if worn too long (hours)

Sony WH-1000XM2 & Bose QC 35 are both great
There are loads of youtube videos comparing the Bose to the Sonys

Sony
A mate who is an audiophile ( I am not, so cant tell the difference) swears by the Sonys. I got the WH-1000X M1 at a good price and I like it.
Pros:The noise cancelling is not as harsh as the Bose's. Has some cool features like Quick Attention mode, touch sensors (could be a pain at times).
Con: more expensive than the Sennheiser

Review
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/sony-wh1000xm2-review
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-wh-1000xm2

Sony Australia's Ebay shop has the M1 for sales, they are seconds though
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-MDR100 ... 41cf84a744
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SONY-MDR100 ... 41c6885513

Bose QC 35
Some people find their NC very high, which feels like pressure on the ears
If you do decide on a Bose they have a RISK-FREE TRIAL(click on the shop with confidence on their website for the T&Cs). The Bose shop in the Melbourne CBD, wasn't too keen to highlight this though.

Hope this helps with your decision. I would highly recommend that you have a listen to each of these headphones prior to buying them.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Makario, thanks for all of the trouble you’ve gone to in your reply. I really appreciate it, thank you.

I’ve been doing the reading and have a slight leaning towards Sennhieser from the reviews ATM. Listening to them isn’t possible unless I head to Melbourne and I only do that when there is no other choice. I’m a country boy now....Grin~

My granddaughter Kaela has a degree in musical production and has just recently done this very same exercise and I’d be a fool not to piggyback on her expertise and recent experience. I’ll give her a call today and see where she ended up, though our requirements may be too askew for it to be relevant for me.

I’d love to listen to a few but I can’t even get our local Harvey Norman staff to acknowledge my presence when I’ve been looking unfortunately.

All of this lovely feedback is causing me to look at things that I might not otherwise have considered, thank you all.
makro
kayak: Native Slayer Propel 10

Post by makro »

No worries Rob. I am glad I could post something useful.

As you can see the choices and features are endless with prices to match.

All the best in find your pair of BTNC
cobby
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie i9s

Post by cobby »

What are you plugging into and listening to? Because good headphones bluetooth or otherwise are garbage without a decent source and decent dac in whatever device you're playing through. A portable headphone amp can make just about any cans 300% better. And decent ones (like a Fiio Q1 mark 2) are fairly cheap at ~$140. Can't help with headphones, I've always used iems (Sony XBA2, Shure and Etymotic). Not cheap, but the Audio Technica ATH-DSR7BT get decent reviews
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

My hearing is so buggered these days that it’s almost irrelevant what my source is.

I stream from Spotify with an increased bitrate and that’s enough for me.

I’m intending to spend about $400 and atm Sennheiser are looking likely thanks.
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Jacko »

G'Day Digger,
A mate from work recently got a good deal on headphones at JB Hi Fi.
They offer a discount to Defence members (I think Vietnam vet Diggers like you are included).
Closest JB for you would be Taralgon but it may be worth looking in to JB on line.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Thanks Rob but I did a deal yesterday.
I was passing Hardly Normal so gave them a final try and actually got served! Yes it is amazing, I know!

I knew what I wanted and it was all down to the price. I tried a price match on them and got these for $388 rather than the almost $500 they wanted.
Actually while we were in town yesterday I had one last try at getting service from our local electrical retailer and lo and behold I snagged a sales bloke! Now after a couple of failed earlier attempts I figured they didn’t deserve my money but as I was going past, it seemed still to be the easier approach....if I could make a deal??

They handle Sennheiser and so I thought there was a chance.

The model I wanted was expensive, almost $500 but I don’t cheap out on Audio as my ears need all the help they can get.

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sennhei ... hones.html This mob does price matching so I pulled up a cheap price on my phone and they accepted it and are ordering them in for me.

$388 for this level of phones is a good price and I’m satisfied that I’ve done a good deal for local stock. It could have been $40 less if I’d accepted stock from China but not for me this time. I had some savings and birthday money to get me to this price.

Many thanks to all those that offered help and advice here, you helped me get my thoughts right and make a decision.

Very helpful place thanks.