Bought Something new wanna share it? Post it here

Completely off topic!
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Re: Bought Something new wanna share it? Post it here

Post by 4liters »

How do people stop the top section of those rod holders from rotating in the mount when a fish hits?
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

4liters wrote:How do people stop the top section of those rod holders from rotating in the mount when a fish hits?
You shouldn't need the drag too tight but this is what I did when I made my extensions....
Reeling wrote:Managed some time in the garage to make my Berkley QS rod holder extrensions this evening.

cut some alu box at angle to match the angle i wish to run my holder at and drilled through. Also made some spacers out of cheapo plastic chopping board from supermarket.

assembled:

mounted to kayak:

Possible a little taller than needed, but i will see how I go out fishing and test the reach etc. It will certainly miss my feet which was one of the plans :)
I can always chop it down if needed.

Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

Reeling wrote:
4liters wrote:How do people stop the top section of those rod holders from rotating in the mount when a fish hits?
You shouldn't need the drag too tight but this is what I did when I made my extensions....
Reeling wrote:Managed some time in the garage to make my Berkley QS rod holder extrensions this evening.

cut some alu box at angle to match the angle i wish to run my holder at and drilled through. Also made some spacers out of cheapo plastic chopping board from supermarket.

assembled:

mounted to kayak:

Possible a little taller than needed, but i will see how I go out fishing and test the reach etc. It will certainly miss my feet which was one of the plans :)
I can always chop it down if needed.

The drag isn't that tight, I think it's either the round tube of the mount that the rod holders fit into, or the 'teeth' on the rod holder itself that are worn out. I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this before.
Reeling
Lord of the fish
kayak: Stealth PF 525

Post by Reeling »

I forgot to explain, that this setup doesn't allow you to change the angle of the holder but once you get it right I find I've not wanted to change it.
The angle of the square tube stops the holder rotating rather than having to rely on those teeth as you say.
Even if you just replace the the standard with a similar height "extension"
Tuna 20.5kg ---KingFish 90cm --- Snapper 84cm --- Gummy 83cm (55cm legal) ---- Whiting 40cm --- Silver Trevelly 41cm --- Flathead 52cm --- Aussie Salmon 38cm --- Squid 34cm hood

Facebook Page Reeling Fish
Instagram Page Reeling Fish
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

Over time the bolt hole in the extension can wear, allowing the rod holder to rotate forward a bit. When this happens I've just put a self tapper or bolt through one corner of the rod holder into the Al tube to stop it rotating. I've also had them much lower than Nath's example to be easier to lift out and less strain on the upright.
0408 565 763
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Ian are you referring to it twisting around due to worn teeth in the base? As opposed to dipping forward which is what Nath is talking about and why he has angled the top of the extension to provide a stopper. If its' twisting then your base is probably worn. I had this on one holder as I hard force fitted it when initially installing it and inadvertently rounded off the ridges in the holder.

Unfortunately you can buy berkley bases separate, but they will fit in scotty mounts, a bit loose but they work
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

westy wrote:Peter use some Penn super x line for leader material, a lot cheaper and very strong :thumbsup:
I've found the black max fluorocarbon leader is nice at a good price and have been thinking about trying the mono supple trace as wind on for a couple of rods i use for gummies.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

shane wrote:
laneends wrote:
peatop wrote:I berkely quick set holders for $24.
Dont forget to give the adjuster bolts an occasional spray otherwise the thumbscrew will seize up in time
And the bolt will rust away and the bail spring will disintegrate and you'll have to buy a new one. :roll: A bit of inox goes a long way.
Why do they disintegrate? Hmm im guessing not good quality, i will check them and replace as necessary ;) i bought 2 scotty mounts and fitted them to the front cross member where the star ports were, this i hope will make trolling and using the front holders more manageable.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

laneends wrote:
Ian are you referring to it twisting around due to worn teeth in the base? As opposed to dipping forward which is what Nath is talking about and why he has angled the top of the extension to provide a stopper. If its' twisting then your base is probably worn. I had this on one holder as I hard force fitted it when initially installing it and inadvertently rounded off the ridges in the holder.

Unfortunately you can buy berkley bases separate, but they will fit in scotty mounts, a bit loose but they work
Yes, the teeth seem to be worn. I haven't had any issues with the rod holders dipping forward yet. I might replace one with a Scotty mount and see if it fixes the issue, although it's not super urgent. It's mainly happening when a fish hits a trolled lure, because when trolling I have the rods sitting at right angles to the yak and the fish pulls them around.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

4liters wrote: I haven't had any issues with the rod holders dipping forward yet.
That happens when you make extensions as you are relying on DIY friction spacers as you have seperated the head cogs. Not a big issue as you dont normally change the angle of these holders much (one of the reasons the thumb adjusters seize up is because you dont use them often). You just have to cut the tube at an angke to provide a stop.

The scotty holders may be a little looser, but they are stronger. I had a ray rip one of my berkley holders apart. I have since added SS hose clips around the neck of the holder to reinforce it, and shortened the extender to reduce leverage. Just make sure you install the scotty holder with the release tab in a convenient orientation. They are probably different to the berkley ones