show us your home brew..

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Re: show us your home brew..

Post by yakgear »

Sure someone will pick those up..

I have capper, during tree and about 80 stubbies but going to pet bottles this time just takes too long to fill stubbies....
yakgear
Lord of the fish

Post by yakgear »

Brew 9/08 11am update

She is gurgling away every few seconds now and has settled on 17.5 a little warmer than what I hoped but still ok. About 1 cm of gunk seen on barrel, ill be in and out of the shed through the night trying to keep the temp steady with heat belt..

Alan don't know about glass but I did see a video on YouTube of a guy in US that does it that way, good video and system he had set up.. Bottles were not demijons they were shaped like the office water bottles..
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Allan wrote:I had a few goes when I was 18 but I found the plastic brewing barrel tainted the taste. (At least I thought so anyway... it wasn't real flash in the first place but it worked!).

Have any of you guys ever tried brewing in glass? Does it make a difference?
G,day Allan, plasticy or rubber like taste is usually caused by brewing at too high a temperature.
most brewers use a plastic fermenter, glass is certainly available but after almost 150 + brews in plastic fermenters Ive never had the
"plastic" taste :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
yakgear
Lord of the fish

Post by yakgear »

3 days and still gurgling :)

Garage temp at 5 deg tonight brew sitting on 16 deg ( it is wearing a coat)
Allan
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by Allan »

Thanks Andrew and Ghurkin.

That could well have been my problem back when I tried it.

I might haver to have another crack I think!
delboy1203
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Mailbu Mini-X

Post by delboy1203 »

yakgear wrote:Sure someone will pick those up..

I have capper, during tree and about 80 stubbies but going to pet bottles this time just takes too long to fill stubbies....
I have about 30 or so PET bottles. PM me your details and I'll send them over to you. I use glass now - easier to keep clean.
TackleBoxHQ to feed your fishing addiction!
yakgear
Lord of the fish

Post by yakgear »

Thanks Del got the bottles this morning :thumbsup:

Reading now at 1.018 still a little bit of action going on but not much will take maybe another day or so before bottling. Its been fermenting now for 9 days last 6 days has been a consistent 15 deg, has a good taste yesterday after taking reading and apart from the bubbles (which will settle during next 4 weeks plus) it was tasting sweet :yahoo: look forward to a few very cold fresh brews ...

Might get another one when this is done whilst the going is good and the weather stabilizing..
delboy1203
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Mailbu Mini-X

Post by delboy1203 »

I don't have anything in the bubbler at the moment, but this is my current stash that I'm trying to get through.

L to R: Honey chocolate porter, Strawberry Wheat beer, Czech Pils, Pale Ale (Fat Yak taste-a-like)

TackleBoxHQ to feed your fishing addiction!
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Post by Matt.A »

Dad uses a fish tank heater to heat his brew. His certainly good at it :thumbsup: The heater keeps it at a very good temp permanently
yakgear
Lord of the fish

Post by yakgear »

I'm still yet to bottle, still some action going on doesn't hurt to let it sit in stage 1 for a little longer :up: