My opinion on Trout and Salmon as Food

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: My opinion on Trout and Salmon as Food

Post by herbie »

let me guess... it didn't taste right cause it wasn't battered and deep fried and smothered in tartare?

Snapper is great table fish but like all fish you don't want to overcook it or it dries out. there are plenty of great recipes out there. I reckon you need to give it another go mate.
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
zulujack
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Revo 13

Post by zulujack »

Rhino wrote:Maybe you can't cook........ :P
Why does everyone say that :eh: ?

Tbh I'll wait for the day they genetically engineer fish that taste like beef. It will be C&R for me until then. :thumbsup:
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

Don't worry mate, I don't think much of snapper either. :down: Just like catching them.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

zulujack wrote:
Rhino wrote:Maybe you can't cook........ :P
Why does everyone say that :eh: ?
Don't know, I was the only one to say it here. But if everyone you know says it, maybe there's something in it. :evilgrin:
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

zulujack wrote:Tried pinkie snapper last might for the first time. Man was that disappointing? Just when you think you've discovered a free source of protein...... You just can't catch catch a break in this world!
Jenko wrote:Don't worry mate, I don't think much of snapper either. :down: Just like catching them.

you arn't alone , I also think snapper is over rated and I'm not that keen on trout to eat
Both are good fun to catch in there own way

I'm not into having to add flavour to make a fish taste ok - give me Whiting , flatties or Flake any day
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
neilmny
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outfitter 2010 (Yum Yum)

Post by neilmny »

[quote="cheaterparts..........................I'm not into having to add flavour to make a fish taste ok - give me Whiting , flatties or Flake any day[/quote]

X2 Cheater.

I really like catching Trout..........Yak, Fly, any old (legal) way. But there's not much to them for eating although the rainbows taste a bit better.
If I cook them for someone I chuck some lemon slices into the cavity, a bit of salt and fresh ground black pepper on the skin then cook them in foil.
Pretty much all of my keepers on the river end up in the farmers fridge.