ammonia and sharks

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
cheaterparts
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

ammonia and sharks

Post by cheaterparts »

Found this piece its not cooking the fish but I put it in here as it has to do with the taste and looking after
the meat and why we bleed sharks straight away - including gummies and schoolies

http://www.fishintech.com/articles---cl ... e-bad.html

Why some Sharks taste Bad….

Quickly - the science of why sharks are different from other bony fish when it comes to eating them….

Sharks (unlike other fish) use urea to maintain osmotic balance with seawater... Why is this bad??

Urea (NH2) 2CO is how our bodies and their bodies chemically bind nitrogenous waste so that it does not turn into ammonia (NH3) inside our bodies - which of course is very poisonous and smells really bad…

If urea is not expelled out of the body often (we urinate or pee it out of our system) the urea will break down chemically and turn to ammonia. Removing this urea before it turns to ammonia is what dialysis does for people in kidney failure.

Sharks store Urea in all their tissues to help their bodies maintain a chemical (ionic) balance with the surrounding saltwater.

We do not store urea in our tissues - it's removed from the blood quickly by the kidneys and mixed with the water from the beer we drink - then stored in the bladder - this is why beer is good for you.

If a shark is not bleed thoroughly (which removes the bulk of the blood containing urea from body) the urea will turn to ammonia - resulting in the bad taste...

The remaining urea stored in other tissues like the skin and meat will quickly turn to ammonia also - but chilling the carcass will slow the breakdown of urea - until the skin can be removed and meat further processed.

Some shark species seem to store more or less urea in their meat than other - which ones I don't know ….

However - the species that are commonly accepted as good to eat - if handled correctly - may be a good indicator...

Finally - in the best case - you are still eating the urea stored in their muscles (meat) - that with proper handling you have slowed from turning to ammonia….
Last edited by cheaterparts on 25 Aug 2012, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Re: ammonia and sharks

Post by Tipsta »

Interesting stuff there cheater.
Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Tip
vikodin
kayak: 2016 Hobie Outback

Post by vikodin »

If i piss on my salmon fillets and marinate them in piss will they taste like gummy? :P

Great post cheater :thumbsup:
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

vikodin wrote:If i piss on my salmon fillets and marinate them in piss will they taste like gummy? :P

easier to cut them into steaks and hang bait them on 8/0s to turn them into gummies
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

With sharks I always bleed/gut and remove the cord along the spine (told this carries a lot of ammonia)as soon as caught and when I get home I fillet, skin them and put the fillets on a tray and put in the fridge overnight. Next day there is a strong ammonia smelling clear liquid in the bottom of the tray, I rinse the fillets, bag and freeze them. I this gets rid of a lot of that putrid taste and found school shark quite often a much stronger taste than gummies too.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
stonecoldpj
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Emotion G/S

Post by stonecoldpj »

Handy info, cheers!
PJ

P/B.... Snapper 70cm (4.5kg), Flatty 45cm
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

vikodin wrote:If i piss on my salmon fillets and marinate them in piss will they taste like gummy? :P

Just call him Jaryed Grills, lol
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

2 weeks in the freezer or overnight in salty water....good as gold!