The evolution of VYAK

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
Widsa
Site Admin
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

The evolution of VYAK

Post by Widsa »

To all Members

I am sure you are all puzzled at Tipsta’s recent resignation as a moderator.
There has been some confusion amongst the ranks and I feel it is best to put all the cards on the table.

We assigned Tipsta to help take care of sponsors, comps and run with the bragmats.
Turns out after we assigned him we came to a vote within the admin team that the liability on us is too high to risk running comps under the VYAK banner so the decision was made to change direction.

We will no longer be running comps under the VYAK name.

This may come as a shock to a lot of you but we have grown beyond our small group that VYAK started as, holding impromptu get togethers and generally going with the flow.
The truth is we didn’t contemplate what would happen to us if someone did get injured during a VYAK comp.
If that member decided to be nasty they could possibly sue us and then it would drag us into a legal battle that would frankly cause us to shut the site down.
The last thing I ever want to see is VYAK go offline and this is why we have to seriously think about the direction we take from here.
We volunteer our time and cant afford to be fighting legal battles, financially or time wise.

As a result of this, we will also be winding back our requirements of any sponsors.
If we don’t run comps we won’t need prizes, the only costs incurred will be for server hosting and domain name plus emergency support when its required.
If it comes down to it we/ I am willing to foot the bill to keep the site running.

This does not stop any member/ members organizing comps, get togethers, camping weekends etc but VYAK as a forum will no longer organize it.
So I don’t see any issues here or problems as members are basically taking the reins now and doing this anyway.

Now onto the next thing I want to discuss with members and your input will be required.
I see a chance that we can go bigger and better if we organize an associated organization in which people will have to pay a membership to join.
This avenue will insure the members and comps will be covered.
The organization will be insured and legally the members/ committee is not liable.
I would hope that it can be run in such a way that it partners with VYAK and we can all benefit.
The comps can be organized here but you will have to be a member of the organization to attend.
The organization can also be a voice to lobby for things such as ramps, grants and government policy etc. if the membership base is big enough.

The only catch is that we will need a committee to run it.
A treasurer, president etc…
The organization will also have its own bank account.

So I believe this is why Tipsta has decided to remove himself.
As a mod as he didn’t agree with our direction and cannot achieve what he signed up to do thus making his position redundant.
We were still in negotiations behind the scenes but now that members are confused I will put it in the public domain for you all to assist.

I suggest we create the “Victorian Kayak Anglers Association” hell we can even have a poll for the name on VYAK.
We can give any VYAK member that is a member of the association special access to a separate forum within VYAK so they can have round table discussions there and make decisions between themselves.

I can see this working really well and I am happy to help out with the setting up of it, but I will only offer limited time and will not be on the committee.(maybe to start with for a short period but after that I am out)
The committee members can be nominated and voted for on here as well to decide who gets what position.
The organization will need a constitution which is also something that can be done on the VYAK forum and bounced around so we all get a say on what happens.

So without going too much further what are your thoughts on this fellow VYAK members?

I hope you all are not upset with our decision to limit what we can and cant do with the VYAK forum but I think the suggestions above should satisfy those of you who wish to compete in proper competitions and take Kayak angling to the next level.
Plus this will take the pressures of time and liability from our admin team here so we can stay focused on what I think is a great resource for Kayak anglers.

Regards,

Widsa.

EDIT
Please read this if you are interested in reading about the hows and whys of becoming an organisation.
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/clubs-an ... ssociation
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Re: The evolution of VYAK

Post by HaTTerS »

Note: The Teams/Solo comp will continue running as is till the end of the year
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Drifta-X
Yak Master
kayak: 2010 hobie outback

Post by Drifta-X »

What bout next yr for that comp?
Will it fall under the new system?
I survived the June 2012 Vyak server crash, just.
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

Yup, it will have to be reworked.
I'll be asking for input before any decisions are made. Keep an eye out in the competition section in the near future.
Jenko
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Big Aluminium One

Post by Jenko »

With the way litigation cases are these days I totally understand, I was a founding member of a m/cycle club that ran events with no insurance, not incorperated, etc and were lucky that we only ever had one guy try to sue us for an accident.... until a video surfaced showing he was at fault. The changes will not affect this great site negatively at all, so keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Jenko on 21 Sep 2012, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Gary...
WestVic Signs 0429 184 940
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Flathead PB 83cm Bream PB 43cm Luderick 38cm
kads

Post by kads »

I understand the concerns with the legalities of possible prosecution in the event of an accident and I understand that you are just covering your bases, and dont blame you.
I joined this forum to learn about kayak fishing as I was a newbie to this great sport, and I have gained an unbelievable amount of knowledge for being part of VYAK.
I have made alot of friends and hopefully have had a positive input in offering my thoughts to questions that I can answer.
If paying a fee to be in this forum is the requirements, well then I would happily pay a fee.
I don't know the full story of the situation that has become, but I hope it can be sorted out as this forum is full of top guys and gals and we should stick together and keep
this great forum and its comradery alive. Afterall its all about fishing, and god damn it, if I dont catch my first freaking snapper this year, I'm gonna scream.....lol

cheers
Kym
HaTTerS

Post by HaTTerS »

kads wrote: If paying a fee to be in this forum is the requirements, well then I would happily pay a fee.
cheers
Kym
No no no, paying a fee will only be required if you want to be part of the proposed organisation (Club).
e.g. if you want to take part in events run by the Club, you'll have to be a member of the club.

Vyak will always be separate and free to be a member of.
kads

Post by kads »

HaTTerS wrote:
kads wrote: If paying a fee to be in this forum is the requirements, well then I would happily pay a fee.
cheers
Kym
No no no, paying a fee will only be required if you want to be part of the proposed organisation (Club).
e.g. if you want to take part in events run by the Club, you'll have to be a member of the club.

Vyak will always be separate and free to be a member of.
oh ..ok..well forget that bit :D
yakgear
Lord of the fish
kayak: y

Post by yakgear »

good foresight for vic kayak angling. I am going through this process now with heroes on the water australia (how-aus) . Currently with how-aus all liability from injury or accident falls onto me, main reason we have not held an event as yet.

In recent discussions with canoeing australia who also caters for SOT kayaks they believe any group that is organised and taken on the water should also be under the instruction and supervision of qualified accredited guide, those qualifications also change from flat water to open water. relevance ? if an organisation started a group say vyak that group would need to have a leader, eg Viperdevil is the leader of the gummy hunt.. he would according to canoe australia require the correct qualifications to run such an event.

difficult position you guys are in right now, well done for throwing it out there...

all this may seem bad to some but ot is a huge step forward and with the numbers and backgrounds of the many on vyak getting this moving forward can be easily achieved..

$130 to register plus maybe $600 for insurance.. a few waivers here and there and bobs your uncle..
cheaterparts
kayak: Stealth Profisha 525 ---

Post by cheaterparts »

Widsa wrote: Now onto the next thing I want to discuss with members and your input will be required.
I see a chance that we can go bigger and better if we organize an associated organization in which people will have to pay a membership to join.
This avenue will insure the members and comps will be covered.
The organization will be insured and legally the members/ committee is not liable.
I would hope that it can be run in such a way that it partners with VYAK and we can all benefit.
The comps can be organized here but you will have to be a member of the organization to attend.
The organization can also be a voice to lobby for things such as ramps, grants and government policy etc. if the membership base is big enough.

The only catch is that we will need a committee to run it.
A treasurer, president etc…
The organization will also have its own bank account.

I suggest we create the “Victorian Kayak Anglers Association” hell we can even have a poll for the name on VYAK.
We can give any VYAK member that is a member of the association special access to a separate forum within VYAK so they can have round table discussions there and make decisions between themselves.

I can see this working really well and I am happy to help out with the setting up of it, but I will only offer limited time and will not be on the committee.(maybe to start with for a short period but after that I am out)
The committee members can be nominated and voted for on here as well to decide who gets what position.
The organization will need a constitution which is also something that can be done on the VYAK forum and bounced around so we all get a say on what happens.

this is probably worth looking into , thing have changed a lot to when I first joined there are over 10 x the members on the site to when I joined

a vic kayak fishing club Inc . could be the way to go to get around the liabilty problems and there woul;d be enough numbers to make a strong club I would think
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm -- Elephant fish 85 Cm -- Snapper 91 Cm -- KG Whiting 49 Cm -- Flathead 55 Cm -- Garfish 47 Cm --Long tail Tuna 86 cm -- Silver Trevally 40 Cm -- Cobia 117 Cm -- snook 53 Cm -- Couta 71 Cm -- Squid 44 hood length

cheater
0402 208 657