The evolution of VYAK

Our policy and site announcements(Upgrades/migrations, etc)
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: The evolution of VYAK

Post by GoneFishn »

Babylon wrote:Snapperboy,mate we dont feel like we are having our heads biting of there is a lot of constructive discussions going on some
might sound heated but at the end of the day we move on that's what this Forum is about and yes Tipsta is still around.Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
I thought it was about kayaking, fishing, drinking and hanging S#!^ on each other :thumbsup:

I really need a beer and to go fishing :(
Drew
Square eyes
kayak: 2008 Revolution Fish and 2011 Outback

Post by Drew »

just spent 20 minutes catching up on this thread...

I think one of the "problems" if you want to call it that about any potential of VYak being the starting point for a Club, is that we have no idea what a membership would be worth. Were the number to be around $20, and as a result everyone were to be insured in the event of an incident, I can't see that you would ever find better insurance anywhere else ...

if it would be anything like the car club I'm involved with, as long as an event is "registered" with the governing body - CAMS in our case, I think an event permit costs about $70, and covers everyone participating should an incident occur...

I don't think anyone has ever considered this to be a money making racket, or anything more than a not-for-profit arrangement...

(not saying $20 would be an accurate number - just pulling out a random number) ...

anyways - I'll pull my head in again for now... :ugeek:
Yak PB's:

- Rock Flathead 45cm
HaTTerS
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

Rhino wrote:Why don't you start a VKFA sub-forum somewhere in the board index
It would be nice if someone who actually wants to join or be a part of an organisation or association to request that.
There's been an underwhelming response from people who want a club. So far, the offers of help have been from those who have a bit of experience setting up clubs, but don't actually want to be part of running it in the long term.
I think this should just be put to bed now.
(open for discussion, but that's my opinion)
Poised on the edge of sanity.
Babylon
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

HaTTerS wrote:
It would be nice if someone who actually wants to join or be a part of an organisation or association to request that.
There's been an underwhelming response from people who want a club. So far, the offers of help have been from those who have a bit of experience setting up clubs, but don't actually want to be part of running it in the long term.
I think this should just be put to bed now.
(open for discussion, but that's my opinion)
ImageImageImageImage
Pearcy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport (pretend its a big yak)

Post by Pearcy »

What he said :up:
Pearcy.
cruiser
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: AI

Post by cruiser »

Rhino wrote:What he said
mob 0423 492 759
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

These are the posts that were deleted.

Widsa wrote:The way I see it we can use VYAK as a launchpad and meeting place for the organisation.
Fair enough. Personally, I have no interest in joining or being a part of any organisation or association, but if others want to go to the trouble, go for it.

Why don't you start a VKFA sub-forum somewhere in the board index and let those who have indicated their interest in starting it up begin organising themselves?

Clubs and associations have been mentioned before and have never got off the ground. Let's see what happens this time.

If it gets off the ground, fantastic. If not, can we put it to bed?

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... ion#p17289

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... shing+club

HaTTerS wrote:

Well I've raised it now so let's see who's fairdinkum.
Open a subforum and people can start nominating themselves for the committee positions.

I've been reluctant to touch this thread, but now that I've opened the account I'd like to touch on something else after noticing my name in the early pages.
I believe Rhino and others tried this option with the Altona Club, but the lack of interest by VYAKers was overwhelming.
As Mav pointed out, Rhino and a few others tried to tag onto an another club but I dont think it took off
We joined an existing fishing club. We didn't try to start a kayak fishing club or organisation. We joined it for the great facility that it is and the 24hr access we have to it.
They welcomed membership from kayakers and were happy for us to use the club for vyak events.They didn't want a separate kayak section within the club but were happy to have kayak sections within their competitions..
We already had a sponsor ready to go and we organised a kayak division in the annual snapper competition. You didn't need to be a member of the club, forum, organisation or association to enter that.
We had 17 yakkers put their names down. Not that many, but still only a few less than the Gummy comp this weekend. There was about $1000 worth of prizes in the kayak section and one of the kayakers (Darren) won the major prize of a boat worth $16000. Not too shabby.

Most of that was achieved and organised before we even wrote a single word about it on the forum.

We have now had over 24 pages of crap over two years about clubs and organisations and associations and incorporations and it has still achieved nothing.

The last thread about starting a kayak fishing club had a poll attached to it. Of about 1500 members at the time only 73 responded. Of those 73 only 35 showed some interest. The thread died after 4 days. Not one person since February 14 has shown enough interest to ask what is happening.

I think too much is being made of having vyak comps. Starver and I organised the first get-together/comp for vyak back in April 2010. We had about 60 members show and with sponsors, family, friends and other interested parties over 100 were in attendance at times. I guess I'm blowing smoke up my own date here, but as far as I'm concerned it was the biggest and best get-together yet. That was all acheived with a membership of only 197 people.
There are over 1700 members now yet there is less than 25 at this weekends gummy comp. The numbers have been similar at a few recent comps too. There doesn't appear to me to be a great demand for it. Certainly not to the extent of starting Associations and Organisations.

There doesn't need to be a kayak section in an external comp for us to enter either. Painkiller showed up all the stinkboats for a win in the Werribee Flathead Challenge and I think fishophil and cheater did similar in a WP gummy comp.
Want to raise awareness for kayak fishing? Beat all the stinkers in their own comp.
But kayak fishing already has peoples attention. The fishing industry is taking notice. They are already starting to run comps. The ABT for one. SLH recently had one and there is talk of another. AK&S have spoken about it for a while and will get something going. There has even been a bit of radio talk about others in the fishing industry getting kayak fishing competitions going. There will be competitions to enter for members who are that way inclined and not one of you will have to lift a finger to organise anything or have any concerns about your public liability.

In the meantime, can we just get back to organising our weekly trips and get together for a fish and a beer and have some fun like we used to.
HaTTerS
kayak: None (temporarily)

Post by HaTTerS »

This thread was an announcement to let you all know what was happening with Vyak and to gauge member's interest in starting a club/association.
We believe this thread has served its purpose and is therefore now locked.

Admin have created a new forum http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=67 for any further club/association discussions to continue by those who are interested.
Admin will moderate the new forum but we will take no further part in organising anything to do with clubs/associations. It's up to you now guys. Good luck!
Poised on the edge of sanity.