simple snook fishcake

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
wombatfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2012 Hobie Outback. Olive

simple snook fishcake

Post by wombatfish »

I have been experimenting a bit with snook to make up simple fishcakes that i can leave in the freezer for quick easy meals, I wanted fishcakes that were still pretty much just the fish with only slight enhancement to the flavour. Last night i made a batch that worked pretty fine and they went well as fishburgers with mayonaise and a bit of tonkatsu sauce. the texture is similiar to those crab stick things you get.

snook fillets chopped up
rice flour( for one big 60cm snook i used a bit less than 1/2 cup)
1 x an egg
1 teaspoon or so of soy sauce
small ammount of chicken salt(maybe 1/2 - 1 teaspoon)...
maybe a few pinches of salt.

mix in blender, till a smooth paste, add a dash of water if it gets a bit dry.

roll in balls (small handful) you dont want them too big.
roll around in beaten egg
roll around in bread crumbs(panko is best)
then flatten so are about 1/2 inch thick (or flatten them before you crumb, its a pretty soft mixture so i find they hold there shape easier if you flatten after you crumb them)

put them in the fridge for a bit.

deep fry or shallow fry (whatever you want) i did them at 160-170C for about 2-3 minutes until nice and golden.

then eat them. enjoy.
Flathead47Pinky40Bream25EstuaryPerch32KGW44Gummy100Squid26LeatherJacket25Snook70Mullet38
viperdevil
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Hobie Outfitter & Sevylor Pointer K2

Re: simple snook fishcake

Post by viperdevil »

Thats a simple recipe paul.....Crispy outside with sofy insides yum....my mouth has already started watering reading the recipe.
Praz
wombatfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2012 Hobie Outback. Olive

Re: simple snook fishcake

Post by wombatfish »

yes praz, simple and tasty. i have another version if you want 'crispy outside and soft inside'. Instead of flour use mashed potato(2/3 fish, 1/3 potato), a dollop of cream, for this one i add a little more salt as the potatoes need a bit more flavour. and lastly double crumb the cakes(egg, crumbs, then egg and crumbs again), you get a nice crispy shell this way.

cheers.
Flathead47Pinky40Bream25EstuaryPerch32KGW44Gummy100Squid26LeatherJacket25Snook70Mullet38