Flathead sashimi!

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
wombatfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2012 Hobie Outback. Olive

Flathead sashimi!

Post by wombatfish »

If you like raw fish you must try this recipe:

catch a flathead

eat it raw ( with a bit of soy sauce and wasabi).

simple but good.
flatheadSashimi.jpg
I havnt tried this before this summer but thought i would give it a go, i wasnt that surprised but it is very good, some of the best sashimi i have eaten, and have cravings for it now, i am looking forward to my next catch of flathead.

Sashimi is a subtle dish so the simple things you do from the time you catch it to til you eat it can make a difference,
when you catch the fish, bleed gut and gill it pretty soon, rinse in the sea water and put it ice, in your esky. then keep chilled til you want to eat it. then just fillet it boneless and slice it up as thick or thin as you want.
with sauce, (use a good japanese soy) , rather than having a bowl for dipping, i use a flat plate and have the soy sauce spread thinly over with jsut a small ammount of wasabi, this stops over dunking the fish in the soy and overwhelming the the taste of the fish.

from a flathead there were 3 main bits of meat, the tail, the back from above the ribs, and the belly from below the ribs, they were all slightly different but i found the best bit to be the bit from above the ribs.
Enjoy,
cheers, paul.
Flathead47Pinky40Bream25EstuaryPerch32KGW44Gummy100Squid26LeatherJacket25Snook70Mullet38
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Flathead sashimi!

Post by GoneFishn »

Might have to try that :up:
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Yum.

Haven't tried Flathead, but I Sashimi a part of just about every Snapper I catch these days. It's sensational. Makes a difference which way you cut it and I would love to learn the proper technique, but it's like a 3-10 year apprenticeship..

Cheers

Tim
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Post by Smish »

Yep it's not bad. A little while ago on a long trip I forgot to bring food. Heading back I was starving and running low on energy so I went Bear Grylls on a couple flatties from the esky. The fresh fillets rinsed in a bit of salt water went down a treat... better than a Snickers... :thumbsup: :lol:
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

Can't you blokes afford stoves or a BBQ?
wombatfish
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: 2012 Hobie Outback. Olive

Post by wombatfish »

Haynsie wrote:Yum.

...Makes a difference which way you cut it and I would love to learn the proper technique, but it's like a 3-10 year apprenticeship..

Cheers

Tim
yeah i reckon that would be pretty swell, in the meantime theres a couple of basic cuts/techniques that do me, on a large fillet i just tidy up the fillet a bit a do a simple 90degree cut across the fillet, or with smaller fish, again just tidy up the fillet but cut the slices off at an angle. helps reduce any stringiness. I do like the sound of smish's bear grylls style though.
Digger wrote:Can't you blokes afford stoves or a BBQ?
yep, 1/4 the fillets sashimi for entree, the rest shallow fried in bread crumbs or a dusting of flour, its the best of both worlds. :thumbsup:
Flathead47Pinky40Bream25EstuaryPerch32KGW44Gummy100Squid26LeatherJacket25Snook70Mullet38