squid cleaning tips

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Re: squid cleaning tips

Post by Rhino »

johnnymagpie wrote:Nice video

OR option 2 go to Eltham hotel and have Gluten Free fried calamari with chips and salad. YUM
That's not where you cook is it Pete?

There is a technique whereby the wings and skin can be removed as one. It's quick and easy, but it's difficult to explain here.

This is a screen shot from an early vid of mine.

I used to keep the keep the wings for bait or even throw them away. That was until I fished with Haynsie and he wanted them to eat. I ate the next lot I got and now the whiting can get stuffed. They're mine from now on.
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Rhino wrote:
I used to keep the keep the wings for bait or even throw them away. That was until I fished with Haynsie and he wanted them to eat. I ate the next lot I got and now the whiting can get stuffed. They're mine from now on.
:lol:

I couldnt believe you were chucking them away. I'm lucky if any squid make it past the kitchen and back out on the yak for bait!
Tim399
Lord of the fish
kayak: Terrapin XL, 2012 PA14

Post by Tim399 »

I just used this video to clean my lonely squid from yesterday, removing the skin was a whole lot easier than the way i was doing it! And i didnt know about that thin membrane on the inside of the hood being that annoying stringy bit on the rings you can buy.. Thanks for posting the vid
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Removing the skin looks easier than the way I was doing it. Will try that. Also for me the wings are the best. I prefer the wings over any other part. Depending on the quantity of squid I have I usually use the tentacles and head as bait.
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Post by laneends »

Sometimes i will rip the wings and membrane off on the yak if i have a spare moment, as they seem to separate easier when just caught. You have all that salt water to rinse them in too> The less ink that ends up in the kitchen the easier home life is.

Any rinsing i do at home is done in a basin of salted water.