Brine recipe?

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
torquayak
The force is strong in this one
kayak: Hobie Outback & Dagger drifter 2 canoe.

Brine recipe?

Post by torquayak »

Hi all. I was after some feedback for a good brine mix. I have been smoking fish for years but never bothered brining them . Last week a bloke from work had some smoked trout and gave me a try. It was much better than what I normally make and he told me he soaks em overnight in water, salt,sugar and onion powder then let's the butterflied fillets air dry before he smokes them for 20 minutes. I have some aussie salmon sitting in brine at the moment. Keen to see any other recipes.
Thanks,
Adrian.
herbie
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Stabicraft 1550 Fisher

Re: Brine recipe?

Post by herbie »

Hi, when I was growing up we used to smoke Eels, Kahawai (Aus Salmon) and Snapper using the following process.

Butterfly the Eels/Fish as normal
Rub with Salt and Brown Sugar
Hang to dry for a few hours covered with some cheese cloth (flies)
Then smoke using Ti Tree .

We had an old double door fridge that worked really well. We could smoke up to 20 fish at a time.

yummo
cheers

Herbie
0404 257 360
yakhangger
Lord of the fish
kayak: cool kayak, Hobie Outback !! Adventure Island

Post by yakhangger »

Yeah Herbie my step father used to do the same with all the trout I used to catch...salt and brown sugar followed by the Ti Tree :thumbsup:
PB Frog 490mm Squid 395mm Gummy 1080mm Bream 295mm Snook 589mm Leather Jacket 340mm Snapper 540mm Barracouta 635mm Garfish 430mm Rainbow Trout 340mm Cuttlefish 210mm Salmon 370mm Banjo 935mm Elephant 810mm Ghurkin fish 230mm Port Jackson 700mm Blue T Wrasse 490mm
BKA
Square eyes
kayak: Malibu Pro Explorer

Post by BKA »

G'day,
Love smoked fish. :)
For the brine, I always use 500ml water, 1.5 tblsp brown sugar, and 2 tblsp salt.
Soak fish for an hour (30 mins each side), then season.
Some pics and more info in the following link:
http://vyak.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12102
Cheers. :thumbsup:
Bayside Kayak Angler
Sandringham Anglers' Club