Crumbing

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Re: Crumbing

Post by Digger »

Lemon......shudder~
SteveoTheTiger
Apprentice
kayak: Wavedance Kingfisher

Post by SteveoTheTiger »

If you cant be bothered with fresh then panko crumbs are always the way to go.

Also if you like a bit of Thai flavour try some desiccated coconut and a little lime zest in the crumbs, don't go overboard tho.
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

bread crumbs mixed with grated lemon zest and parmesan cheese, mix well, spread out over a lightly oiled baking tray and bake for 5 minutes on medium heat, dip fish in seasoned flour then egg and roll in the toasted crumb mixture, press firmly and place in the fridge to set for about a beer or two, then bung them in the oiled tray, spray lightly with cooking oil and bake, nom nom noms
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

So what's the easiest and best method for a good crumb coating?

I love crumbed calamari and beer battered fish etc, and rather than improvising with woks and fry pans etc., I bought a purpose built deep fryer last season.

But it's a real pain in the ass getting calamari rings and things coated in crumbs. Although the finished results have been good, it's been a time consuming and messy process.
There has to be better way than how I'm doing it. Can anybody tell me what that is?

By the way, this is the fryer and cooked rings in Panko crumbs.

bjspinner
Lord of the fish
kayak: PA14 180Drive/ Oasis

Post by bjspinner »

Doesn't look like there is anything wrong there Darren.

I like my calamari with a mix of 4 table spoons of flour, 1 of Chinese five spice and 1 of ground chilli powder.

Toss it all in a freezer bag and drop the calla's in and shake then cook.

Washed a few down with an ale sunday. Yummo
Mobile 0418991898
PB: Micro surgery on one of Scuba Sue's Gummy's
Rhino
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Streaker Tournament/Zodiac

Post by Rhino »

Yeah, like I said, the results have been good, but it's so damn time consuming and messy. Just looking for a quicker, cleaner way.

I usually shake the rings in a bag of flour and seasonings, then dip them in the egg wash before shaking them in a bag of crumbs. The first couple of batches are ok, bet then everything gets wet and gluggy because of all the egg. That's when it all gets messy. I thought there might be a better way.

Getting them all coated in flour is quick and easy. I might then have to soak them all in egg and then strain off most of the egg so they are just wet and not dripping. Then out of the strainer into the bag of crumbs. Sounds ok in theory.

Having a beer now. Could do with a few of those rings..........
Last edited by Rhino on 10 Sep 2013, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
happyas
Lord of the fish
kayak: stealth evo 465

Post by happyas »

Dry your fish in a paper towel, roll in mixture of equal parts honey and sesame oil, then roll in finely crushed peanuts and cook. Sate fish, yum. BTW I believe Panko crumbs involve palm oil.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

SteveoTheTiger wrote:If you cant be bothered with fresh then panko crumbs are always the way to go.

Also if you like a bit of Thai flavour try some desiccated coconut and a little lime zest in the crumbs, don't go overboard tho.
Bloody expensive those Panko crumbs though!
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Post by Ghurkin »

Digger wrote:
SteveoTheTiger wrote:If you cant be bothered with fresh then panko crumbs are always the way to go.

they have to make a crust somehow :roll:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Digger
Vyak Addict

Post by Digger »

Ghurkin wrote:
Digger wrote:

they have to make a crust somehow :roll:

Boom! Boom!