Snook

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Snook

Post by Smish »

Basic recipe... fillet, skin, debone the snook and cut into pieces, chuck in a bowl add a hand full of bread crumbs, half an onion cubed, chopped spring onions, fresh corriander, a pinch of salt and an egg, whack it in a blender and give the mix a quick blend ( just enough so that everything is nicely combined ) make the mixture into patties and fry up like a burger. Serve with a few rashers of bacon, spinach, hash browns, baked beans, fried tomatoes and relish on the side - breakfast of champions. :thumbsup:
gus fitzroy
Lord of the fish
kayak: revo 13

Re: Snook

Post by gus fitzroy »

Hi Smish. Thanks for your recipe.

Thought I'd just add to this thread with the long finned pike filets I just cooked up.

Had a bit of a read on the net and on here and plenty of advocates of eating the short finned pike, as well as the detractors. Many of the "successful" recipes involved letting the fish rest for a day or two once filleted. (bread crumbs also a theme.

)Anyway, caught a decent one on Monday, didn't bleed, but spiked immediately and "rested" on my yak for a couple of hours. :shifty:

Filleted and cut out the blood lines and on the day tried a few mini-fry ups (with very small pieces) in various ways. Tasted like S*** TBH.

So then the fish rested in the fridge for a couple of days (as fillet), tonight I rolled in flour, then waited for it to go gluey (with a bit of water basting for the dry flour areas), then rolled in bread crumbs (again suggested on here and other parts on the net), then fried.

It tasted pretty good to me. Different but not unpleasant texture.

One daughter who only really likes flathead said "almost as good as flathead"
My wife doesn't like fish a hell of a lot, but does eat it said "better than pinkie and close to flathead",
My son just eats anything that's been anywhere near water and did so again.
And my other fussy daughter said "like it better than flathead". She ate plenty.

All in all, I'm pretty happy I've found a decent way to cook it for now. Hopefully this is replicated next time I catch one (if it doesn't get used for bait), but who knows?
Smish
Lord of the fish
kayak: Viking Profish Reload

Re: Snook

Post by Smish »

gus fitzroy wrote:
...So then the fish rested in the fridge for a couple of days (as fillet)...
I've actually heard of that before somewhere i.e. letting the fillet rest for a few days to improve the flavour, I think it may have been Bushy (the Squidgy guy) on The Big Fish on ABC radio - can't remember what sort of fish it was.

Weirdly the better half and I prefer Flathead after its been vacuum sealed and frozen for a few weeks... I can appreciate why people might like it fresh but I find the texture flakier and the flavour a bit lighter after freezing.

Cheers,

Smish