Calamari Fins For The Table?

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
outback paul
Square eyes
kayak: Revo 13

Calamari Fins For The Table?

Post by outback paul »

Last night I stir fried the fins from some of the calamari I caught in the morning in butter & garlic, and they came out like rubber :shock: even though I cooked them exactly the same way as I cook the tubes (which are usually tender).

I'm wondering if you guys cook the fins differently, have a special recipe for them, or only use them for bait?

I did see an old post (by Maverick in 2010)) for stuffed squid, where he put the fins and other parts in the blender, which sounded great, but I'd love to find a quick way of cooking them too. Many thanks, Paul
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Calamari Fins For The Table?

Post by laneends »

I think half the problem is they are taper thickness so some bits are going to be more cooked than others.
shane
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie AI, PA14, Quest and an ebay tandem

Post by shane »

I will only eat the wings off big squid. When cleaning them you will note that there is a really thick section where the wing joins the hood. The thicker part can be separated off the wing by tearing or cutting off with a knife (blade flat to wing to separate the thick section from the wind under it). I suspect leaving this thick section on is what resulted in the rubberyness.
0408 565 763
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

shane wrote:I will only eat the wings off big squid. When cleaning them you will note that there is a really thick section where the wing joins the hood. The thicker part can be separated off the wing by tearing or cutting off with a knife (blade flat to wing to separate the thick section from the wind under it). I suspect leaving this thick section on is what resulted in the rubberyness.
What Shane said. Assuming you took the skin off?
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
outback paul
Square eyes

Post by outback paul »

Thanks guys, I'll try again :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

I've been told to cook squid it must be cooked fast or slow, myself i like quick so i fry it but i have come across recipes for squid soup where it is simmered for an hour or so, my vietnamese daughter cooks it both fast and slow but only in water she drops it in boiling water but only a few seconds, and slow cooks it for soup, tonight i was looking at different recipes but none actually mentioned the flaps. There is a hard membrane at the join where it meets the hood this should be cut off, also if you then cut the squid in strips long ways you could cook accordingly to thickness. Or you could eat it raw using lemon/lime/orange juice to par cook it

What shane said about the bigger models, I've notice on several occasions the distinctive twin layers, and noticed that the inner layer was very soft, when i fish for whiting i usually tenderize the sqide but if using the inner layer there's no need.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
vicyak
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie PA 14

Post by vicyak »

Wings are great to eat. Like Shane said the thicker part which joins to the body has to be cut off.
Also ensure you got the first layer of skin off (Slimy).

With small to medium squid I cook the wings hole in breadcrumbs.
With larger squid I cut the wing into pieces and score the pieces as the meat can be thick.
outback paul
Square eyes

Post by outback paul »

Again thanks guys for your ideas, it looks like there won't be any squid parts wasted now.
It seems the golden rule is that you cook squid for up to 1 minute, (or) over 1 hour - Nothing in between.

I also spent some time checking out recipes for squid in the slow cooker, and found some very tasty combinations including an Asian inspired recipe with soy sauce, ginger, etc. And some other recipes using chorizo, olives, bacon, and lots more flavours.

Last night I tried a very simple idea I found way back in another 2010 forum post which uses a sandwich toaster.
Just cut the squid tube into large rectangles,brushed them with olive oil & crushed garlic, 50 seconds in the sandwich toaster, done! (Didn't even need to score the squid). BRILLIANT :up:
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Post by peatop »

Great Paul, and this topic also got me thinking more about different dishes :thumbsup: when i deep fry squid it's usually 20-30 seconds and faster if done in the wok, i never score or tenderize it but have found sometimes no matter how it's prepared or cooked somtimes it just turns out tough, but i love squid so i eat it anyway, oh one more thing! If squid is battered you can cook it longer as it take longer for the heat to reach the flesh.
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm