Olive Crumbed King George Whiting

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
James Duke
The force is strong in this one
kayak: none at the moment

Olive Crumbed King George Whiting

Post by James Duke »

I found this one the other day when we caught a few Whiting in Western Port. Give it a go, we liked it.

SERVES 6

PREP TIME: 20-30 minutes

COOKING TIME: 15-20 minutes

3 tbs clarified butter

1kg King George whiting fillets, cleaned

2 tbs unsalted butter

6 southern gold or nicola potatoes (or similar), steamed in their skins, cut into thick slices

1 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves

300g watercress sprigs, to serve

Lemon wedges, to serve

Sauce Gribiche:

3 eggs, hard boiled

1 raw egg yolk

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1 tbs fresh lemon juice

200ml olive oil

1 tbs chopped tarragon leaves

1 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves

1 tbs chopped chives

1 tbs capers, well rinsed, roughly chopped

50g cornichons (small gherkins)

Salt/freshly ground black pepper

Olive Breadcrumbs:

1 garlic clove

Grated zest of 1 lemon

2 tbs chopped green olives

60g (1 cup) Japanese (panko) breadcrumbs

To make the sauce gribiche, peel the hard-boiled eggs and separate the egg yolks from the whites. Finely dice the egg whites and set aside.

In a mortar and pestle, place the cooked yolks with the raw yolk, mustard and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Pound until smooth. Add the lemon juice then continue to pound and stir while adding the oil, a little at a time. Once all the oil has been incorporated, pour the sauce into a bowl. Fold in the remaining ingredients, check seasoning then lastly add the reserved chopped egg white. Refrigerate until required.

To make the olive breadcrumbs, put the garlic, lemon zest and chopped olives in a food processor and pulse briefly. Add the breadcrumbs and combine well. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Cut 6 squares of baking paper about 10cm-12cm square, brush with clarified butter and lay on a baking tray. Divide the whiting into 170g portions, cut into similar sized lengths and lay on the baking paper, each fillet slightly overlapping. Season with salt and black pepper. Press the breadcrumb mixture on to the fish then bake for 6-8 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. As the butter begins to foam, add the potato slices and saute on both sides until golden. Drain on paper towels, season then sprinkle over the parsley.

To serve, arrange a few potato slices on each serving plate. Using a spatula, lift the fish portions off the baking paper alongside the potatoes. Serve with a good spoonful of sauce gribiche, a handful of watercress and a wedge of lemon.
Regards,

James
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Re: Olive Crumbed King George Whiting

Post by maverick »

I starteed drooling when reading the recipe, yum. Probably wasted on KGW, but on other less liked fish it would be magnificent.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
ELM
Yak Master
kayak: A very dusty one.

Post by ELM »

Sounds really nice James, love olives so had me sucked in from the start though.
When we say it's BIG RED SEASON, we don't mean a big red blood stain on the bay,
GET YOUR LIGHTS ON + YOUR PFD'S.

Happy Sailing Fishing and keep blowing bubbles.
Cheers
Eddie

bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

Great recipe james, now i just need 1kg of whiting fillets :cry: :cry:
Bilby.
Bill 0409139460
Goose
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Sport

Post by Goose »

have to get me some tings.....thanks for the encouragement:)
><((((º> Goose ><((((º>
Chris&Tan
Apprentice
kayak: Daylite paddler

Post by Chris&Tan »

Nice one bud, I think I might just use this on my Banjo shark experiments, or some salmon over winter (They do eat well i dont care what folks say)
Anyhow my lovely wife prepared this from our catch last week, nothing too special just real fresh, real clean seafood flavours. Oh and chilli
Attachments
Flatties and Calamari.JPG
Braggo Meter = Snapper6kg, Flathead 43cm, Whiting 41cm, Bream 350mm (on pennisula) Squid 1.5kg, Gurnard 45cm,
James Duke
The force is strong in this one
kayak: none at the moment

Post by James Duke »

King george are firing at Western port at the moment! Went out last week in the stinker, brought home 4kg of fillets, went out last night in the yak for a short time and got another bag.

Eating like a king at the moment with King George each night...................yummy
Regards,

James