A yummy Snapper recipe

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

A yummy Snapper recipe

Post by fishophil »

I caught a nice 2-3kg snapper last night, perfect size for eating, so I found this recipe and cooked him up tonight!
As you can see... it come up pretty good, and tasty bloody great!! :thumbsup:

Preparation Time

20 minutes
Cooking Time

35 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)

1.5kg whole snapper
1 stick lemongrass, trimmed, halved, cut into 5cm lengths
4 garlic cloves, bruised
6 kaffir lime leaves, torn
Fresh coriander sprigs, sliced green onion, steamed jasmine rice and lime wedges, to serve
Dressing
1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tsp caster sugar
1/3 cup light soy sauce
2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Add above ingredients to your shopping list
Method

Preheat a barbecue to medium-high with hood closed. Rinse fish inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Make 3 shallow cuts, 1cm-deep, in thickest part of each side of fish.

Place a large sheet of baking paper on top of a large sheet of foil on a flat surface. Place fish in centre of paper. Fill cavity with lemongrass, garlic and lime leaves. Season fish with salt and pepper. Fold up baking paper and foil to enclose fish, scrunching to secure foil.

Barbecue the snapper, with the hood closed, for 30 to 35 minutes, turning halfway, or until cooked through.

Meanwhile, make dressing: Combine sweet chilli sauce, lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, fish sauce, oil and coriander in a jug.

Unwrap fish and carefully transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle with dressing. Top with coriander sprigs and green onion. Serve with lime wedges and rice.

Notes

Tip: When selecting fish, look for bright clear eyes, not cloudy and sunken eyes as this will show you how fresh the fish is. You can also cook the fish in the oven. Preheat to 200C/180C fan-forced and cook for the same time.
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
wokka1
Yak Master
kayak: Compass

Re: A yummy Snapper recipe

Post by wokka1 »

Gotta get me a BBQ...with a hood. :thumbsup:
Regards,
Wokka. (aka...Fruitbat)
Fishing... a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other
fishophil
Lord of the fish
kayak: Kingfisher & 2013 Hobie Outback.. and 3 more..

Post by fishophil »

I havent got one with a hood, so I chucked it on the oven, worked out fine though 8-)
Too many freaks. Not enough circuses.
Tipsta
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Pro Angler ( itildo )

Post by Tipsta »

You dont need a BBQ with a hood,
Just do the same thing as mentioned but use foil.
I get foil a little over twice the length of the fish,
Lightly grease it, then on one half lay a bed of sliced lemons and oranges,
Slice the skin of the fish between the ribs,
Lemon, lime salt and pepper over the top,
More lemon and orange slices over the fish.
Then fold the other half of the foil over the fish,
Roll the edges so it seals and place on the hot plate of the bbq,
The foil blows up like a big football with the pressure as it steams the fish,
Cooking time is 2 large bottles of beer :)

Tip
kads

Post by kads »

hey phil...it sounded good till you mentioned corriander....yuk...I cant stand that stuff...thank god Im ozzie and not thai..I'd starve.!
Digger
Vyak Addict
kayak: Tinny, Piers anywhere I can!

Post by Digger »

kads wrote:hey phil...it sounded good till you mentioned corriander....yuk...I cant stand that stuff...thank god Im ozzie and not thai..I'd starve.!

Thank God for that...someone else with good taste! I hate the muck!!!

When I was a kid I used to catch harlequin (soldier) beetles, pull the heads off and this green stuff would ooze out looking like it should have been a choccie filling....but the smell, same, same coriander...YUK!

I love Asian food just not Thai crap as apart from corrainder it's full of coconut cream and milk which are absolute no-no's for diabetics. Flat out worst saturated fats which apart from palm sugar are the worst for your health!

Fussy Dig
dinium
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie Outback

Post by dinium »

Sounds awesome Phil. Love Thai food when I'm allowed to eat it... :yahoo:
CrazyChenski
Lord of the fish
kayak: Clarkeski Dusta

Post by CrazyChenski »

Digger wrote:
kads wrote:hey phil...it sounded good till you mentioned corriander....yuk...I cant stand that stuff...thank god Im ozzie and not thai..I'd starve.!

Thank God for that...someone else with good taste! I hate the muck!!!

When I was a kid I used to catch harlequin (soldier) beetles, pull the heads off and this green stuff would ooze out looking like it should have been a choccie filling....but the smell, same, same coriander...YUK!

I love Asian food just not Thai crap as apart from corrainder it's full of coconut cream and milk which are absolute no-no's for diabetics. Flat out worst saturated fats which apart from palm sugar are the worst for your health!

Fussy Dig

You better rule out most of Malaysian and Indonesian food..... They use palm sugar on everything :P
Fishing is just like Accounting .... it is all about Optical Illusion ...............
kads

Post by kads »

I went to a thai restuarant once for the first time ..had a banquet...one of the serves was coconut soup stuff, full of corriander...took 1 mouth fully and had to hold back my stomach linning.....each to their own , but I just cannot stand the smell or the taste of corrinander...any other herb I can handle...go figure.
kads

Post by kads »

Digger wrote:When I was a kid I used to catch harlequin (soldier) beetles, pull the heads off and this green stuff would ooze out looking like it should have been a choccie filling....but the smell, same, same coriander...YUK!
arn't they the "push me pull you" beetles...the ones that are always having beetle sex..?? :lol: