Knogg Can Cook!!!!!!

Caught anything lately? Post up how you cooked it here and if it was a success. Doesn't only have to be fish....
Knogg
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Pro Angler 12,COBRA,Fish and Dive,play

Knogg Can Cook!!!!!!

Post by Knogg »

Here we go guys I'm unveiling My culinary talents here, I kinda eat like a king every single night, Probably shouldn't because I would be a rich man by now.

Beer Battered Fish N Chips is one of my Fav's, Next to Fettucini Marinara, and Lamb shanks which recently started making a new dish which My missus had at The Old England Hotel months ago and demanded i replicate, which i flogged theirs and mastered it, The dish is large home made Gnocchi with shreaded lamb shanks with egg plant and a rich tomato base, Its Killer!! The Only thing is i can never make a dish exactly the same as the last time.

I make my own pasta and lassange sheets normally with garlic parsley and chilli through it, But nearly every time i go out for dinner i get good old beer battered fish and chips.

These are the flatties i caught during the Mt Martha whiting comp, Yes the ones in My Youtube Video

Basically If I'm prepared ill buy a low carb beer, because they work well for beer batter, I often get barefoot raddlers I think called bare cove now or Pure blonde, This wasn't the case as I don't drink beer (generally) But I had an apple cider in the fridge, I figured the one cider i had would work well it was a really carbonated slightly sour and not very sweet compared to the usual european ones i get. Think it was coldstream apple cider

I Don't have a real recepie as I never use them but I can give you a basic run down,
Firstly any fish I plan to batter and fry I get a big bowl, as big as you can so the fillets aren't crowded. Give them a huge coating of plain flour, Your fillets need to be completely covered, Don't be shy flours cheap.
Put the bowl with your floured fillets in the fridge for a good couple of hours. or as long as you can.

The Cider batter
Another big bowl, and I very gently poured in a can of cider, Trying to retain the carbonation, or bubbles. Then slowly added flour whilst stirring but with a dig and folding motion, Wasn't too concerned about thoroughly mixing the batter as trying to retain the bubbles.

I normally have fresh dill but my plants gone to seed, so out came the dried stuff i used about a teaspoon, and 1 of parsley. It also got a little grind of salt and pepper.
The batter is best made not very thick so it was similar to a crepe batter consistency, This allowed extra to run of quick and faster penetration when cooking with a great crispy finish. Looking at pic i just remembered i added a little hand full of cornflakes crushed as small as i could by hand

shake all excess flour off before putting your fillet in the batter

Im using a deep fryer on 160 deg, This allows it to bubble up straight away but not furiously but takes a few minutes to get any colour.

Fresh oil works best, I normally use Vegetable but this was rice bran oil, If i could get my hands on cotton seed oil i would use that, That stuffs awesome.

and then the normal paper towel to catch the usual excess oil and there we have it

The most important thing again is leaving your fish heavily floured beforehand for as long as you can before battering even if its over night. This takes away excess Moisture from your fillets and that excess moisture is what stops your fried fish from staying crunchy

Turned out friggen Ace. here's the pics
P3230198.JPG
P3230196.JPG
P3230194.JPG
Now I'm off to to pan grill my Pinky fillets skinned and floured
"Every Fisherman has a story" but "Every KAYAK fisherman has a better one"
Ghurkin
Vyak Addict
kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Knogg Can Cook!!!!!!

Post by Ghurkin »

mate!!! that looks bloody noice and its only breakfast time at the mo :up:
People laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at them because they're all the same.
Babylon
Needs a life (forum tragic)
kayak: 2017 Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Compass Duo

Post by Babylon »

What time is tea and whats your address.
Looks bloody yummy. :D Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Post by Knogg »

I think I had that early last week, just took a while to turn on my laptop.

And diner time is questionable I tend to be at work till random times or just until I've had enough. I'll get out early when I need something for a yak fishing trip :)
Haynsie
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Revolution 13

Post by Haynsie »

Great post Knogg,

Good tip about leaving it in the flour. Made the mistake once of not drying off some squid tentacles properly and they just about exploded when they went into the oil.

Does the deep fryer make a difference? I usually just use a big wok, but it makes a huge mess and tends to get pretty smoky. Might have to look into getting one.

Cheers

Tim
Outback Yak
Square eyes
kayak: Hobi outback

Post by Outback Yak »

Hmmm Hmmm .....here's a suggestion!! For all my fellow newbies out there...Knogg cooks up a 'welcome' feed of those yummy fillets and wash 'em down with one of Ghurkin's delightful brews. Just let me know where and when and I'll bring an appetite and a thirst :thumbsup:
Well done Knog!
Knogg
Lord of the fish

Post by Knogg »

Haynsie wrote:Great post Knogg,

Good tip about leaving it in the flour. Made the mistake once of not drying off some squid tentacles properly and they just about exploded when they went into the oil.

Does the deep fryer make a difference? I usually just use a big wok, but it makes a huge mess and tends to get pretty smoky. Might have to look into getting one.

Cheers

Tim
Yes Tim the deep fryer makes a difference.

I won't ever not own a deep fryer again. I dont use it alot, but that's just because it's a Fucken deep fryer and I an pretty intent on eating well and so far do a good job.

That's a delnonghi or something spelt probably alot different, most of them that size are jUst a big hole that you have 5L of oil in, this one is capapble of cooking the same quantity (1kg) with 1 L of oil.

The basket rotates/revolves whilst cooking and it's all set on a steep angle so the 1l pools at the front, making it need less oil. So the food rotates in and out of the oil.

Being able to set the tempratature cooking is alot easier and more consistent. I get alot more golden food these days and no oil splashing every whet as its got a lid that is down before the food is lowered in the oil.

So they are friggen grate but just don't go frying everything you eat.