Strike pro hummers

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
twavvy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Perception Swing

Strike pro hummers

Post by twavvy »

Hi All,

Recently at my twice-annual trip to Nelson I was using the usual assortment of vibes to catch a few bream, EPs and mulloway and doing ok. I went to the shop and talked to Brett about what was working and he said basically what I was doing which was sounding up a school and vibing, but also recommended the "Strike pro hummers". I skeptically purchased one, thinking that he only said it to make a sale however I think that it doubled my catch rate, as I went out that afternoon and nailed two soapies almost immediately and then the next morning caught an released numerous bream, mulloway and EPs.

They seem to be a sort of plastic vibe with stuff inside that rattles. They have a slower sink rate than standard metal vibes and seem to have a more gentle "vibe" when worked. I used them a bit slower than a normal vibe.

I used the JU015TL which is black with a bright orange underside and on the morning where in a couple of hours I landed about a dozen fish my old man (Who was using the strike pro cyber vibe in a similar colour) managed two, so they do work!

Has anyone else tried them?

Cheers

Trav
Trav
laneends
Vyak Addict
kayak: Quests 11 13 Adventure 16 Revo 16 ORSki epic k1

Re: Strike pro hummers

Post by laneends »

Not tried these by I have some el cheapo chinese versions, action is as you describe and I like them. It The slower sinking also reduces the amount of bottom snaggy as you have more control over them. they also get more hits on the drop. Also possible to slow troll them.

They are like a cross between a vibe and a bibless sinking HB.
I have some larger ones than I inserted some small self tappers into the belly to increase sink rate.

Maybe they just look like a bigger feed and so work better in winter when fish are harder to provoke
Pog
Qualified Fish Monger
kayak: Yellow Hobie PA 12

Post by Pog »

Now look what you've done Trav, gotta go out and buy some MORE lures!!!............Lol, very informative post........thanks :thumbsup:
twavvy
Lord of the fish
kayak: Perception Swing

Post by twavvy »

laneends wrote:Not tried these by I have some el cheapo chinese versions, action is as you describe and I like them. It The slower sinking also reduces the amount of bottom snaggy as you have more control over them. they also get more hits on the drop. Also possible to slow troll them.
Yes you're right - I did seem to have less snags as they didn't hit the bottom as hard. I also think that the weight is in the nose so it sits on the bottom kind of like a squid jig does and apart from not snagging as much I also had fish come and take them off the bottom, even after they had been sitting motionless for 5-10 seconds!
laneends wrote:Maybe they just look like a bigger feed and so work better in winter when fish are harder to provoke
And that's not a bad theory - Especially for the mulloway which must need more food to thrive compared to a small bream!
Pog wrote:Now look what you've done Trav, gotta go out and buy some MORE lures!!!............Lol, very informative post........thanks :thumbsup:
Hey Pog, there's always more lures that need buying! :evilgrin:

I'm a tacklerat myself and with my limited funds this would be one of my first choice lures for a return trip there in the cold of Winter. :up:

Cheers fellas

Trav
Trav
Matt.A
Lord of the fish
kayak: A boat

Post by Matt.A »

One of my top 3 lures at nelson. They have a very tight 'shimmy' and a super loud rattle, if you are real quiet you can hear the rattle as you raise the rod tip in 3m of water :shock: I always make sure I have a couple in the box wherever I go.