Berkley FS6's, Frenzy's & more!

What lures are working and people's reviews and photos on what they have caught on them!
mingle
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: one

Berkley FS6's, Frenzy's & more!

Post by mingle »

Get yourself some Berkley FS6s... Can't beat 'em...
GoneFishn
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: OceanKayak Prowler Elite 4.5 "Calypso"

Re: Daiwa Shiners

Post by GoneFishn »

mingle wrote:Ten bucks?!? Get yourself some Berkley FS6s... Can't beat 'em... at 1/3 the price of the Daiwas... :-)
Had some really good success with the Berkley HB's

FlickerShads
Frenzy Minnow
Not all that easy to find. I think I have cleaned out BigW at Werribee Plaza :lol: but at $3.00 why wouldn't you.
mingle
PHD in Yakology.

Re: Berkley FS6's, Frenzy's & more!

Post by mingle »

Yeah, I've cleaned out all of the local Big-W stores and can't seem to find them anywhere else.

I've tried the Flicker Shads (FSHM5s and FSHM7s) in silver/black and silver/blue with moderate success when trolling, but my all-time favourite and best performing lure has been the FS6-S-SS (Silver Shiner)... The one in the middle in this pic...

The Purple Shad (top) and Ayu (bottom) patterns are also good, but the silver seems to get more attention...

One of these lures caught almost 100 short-finned pike (snook) before I lost it to a decent salmon (the leader broke!):

I always have at least one of these out the back when trolling and I've yet to miss out on catching a fish... Squid like them too!

They're a small lure (only 6cm), but I've been amazed at the fish that will try and snap them up. I've had bream, pinkies, snook, stinky pike, salmon, trevally and two species of flatties on them.

If I had to chose only one lure to take out with me, it would be the FS6-S-SS, no question. At around $3 a pop gotta be bargain of the century...

Cheers,

Mike.
Donkey
Square eyes
kayak: PA12 - The Appendage

Post by Donkey »

Yeah gotta admit I love em too. I've got a problem where I like to buy rediculosly expensive lures but at $3 a pop these guys hold they're own. Probably my favorite trolling lure here in PPB. Although I do upgrade the hooks after a nice snapper straightened the hooks for freedom. Even got a kingy on one a few years ago!!
EEeee-ooorrrrrrrrrrrrr
maccayak
Square eyes
kayak: A clean one with no fish!

Post by maccayak »

Mike, I like the look of the green one. I might call into Karingal and see if they have got any. Would you change the trebles to better ones or put on new singles or don't worry. Maybe we should have a comp, biggest fish caught on a HB below $5.

Geoff
Geoff Mobile 0438 383 764

VYAK Member No 0003
mingle
PHD in Yakology.

Post by mingle »

Hi Geoff,

As Donkey mentioned, it can be worth changing trebles if there's a chance of a big fish...

The standard hooks are very sharp, but not too strong. I've caught very active and hard fighting snook to just over 80cm and they have bent the tines a bit, but I've never lost one.

However, I now replace the hooks with Eagle Claw size 8 trebles (see the picture above, with the Purple Shad on the carpet - the rear hook is an Eagle Claw , the front hook is standard).

The Eagle Claw trebles are VERY tough. Plus you can get them at Big-W for only $1.38 for a pack of five... :-)

Cheers,

Mike.
glassman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie pa

Post by glassman »

hi mingle, do those frenzy lures float and how deep do they dive :?:
mingle
PHD in Yakology.

Post by mingle »

They float and dive to between 50cm - 1.5m, depending on how fast you troll...

Cheers,

Mike.
glassman
The force is strong in this one
kayak: hobie pa

Post by glassman »

thanks for the info i might have to invest in some, thats if there is any left :lol:
bilby
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Fender Stratocaster + Marshall stack

Post by bilby »

I went to Karingal today and found them, they were $3.43 (Mingle has pushed the price up) :lol:
I reckon they are worth a crack on the sambo's and for $3.00 i'm not going to give a crap if i lose it, they do look pretty fishy in the flesh i must say.
Cheers Bilby.
Bill 0409139460