Who Would Want To Fish Where There Are Seals?

A forum for member's kayak or fishing related videos
peatop
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: dune PA14

Re: Who Would Want To Fish Where There Are Seals?

Post by peatop »

Steve i wonder if that part invthat story of a GWS following a fisherman in S.A. might be the same story Minni was telling me? It sounded so familiar while i was reading it different shark obviously but similar story ;) sharks definitely like yellow though, I've watched fishing shows where they've caught them on yellow poppers and stick baits, I've thrown all my yellow lures out now lol
Mob no: 0401580668
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

peatop wrote:Steve i wonder if that part invthat story of a GWS following a fisherman in S.A. might be the same story Minni was telling me? It sounded so familiar while i was reading it different shark obviously but similar story ;) sharks definitely like yellow though, I've watched fishing shows where they've caught them on yellow poppers and stick baits, I've thrown all my yellow lures out now lol
Thomas Peschak and Michael Scholl are published in reputable Geographic magazines. If the SA story uses that same image, if was probably lifted from Peschak's stock of images.

GWS are possibly more curious than intent on eating non-natural food.

Yellow possibly more resembles dead whale belly (???) than other colours but don't rely on colour to protect you. The kayak in the photo below was tasted (but nothing eaten) by a GWS in News Zealand.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/
pete49
Apprentice
kayak: perception swing

Post by pete49 »

laneends wrote:At the end of the day the number of deaths of kayakers being killed by sharks is practically nil.. That said it gets the adrenelin running when a shark fin cruises by...you feel totally vulnerable
OK so its practically nil but then who is putting up their hand to become the next statistic? No thank you
Pete
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Steve there was an attack reported earlier this year of a same colour yak in NSW or Qld, i don't think sharks are a cause for concern but definitely deserve our respect, lets face it if we were scared, we wouldn't do it ;) i guess it comes down to what/where we feel comfortable, I've now been offshore twice knowing there are sharks around as there were hookups and sightings, i personally enjoyed both occasions lol to me it was something new, however if i was on the other end of different story then im sure it wouldn't have been a pleasant experience ;)
Yak PBs kingfish (about this big <>>><), squid 39 cm, king george 42 cm, snapper 72 cm, gummy 122 cm, 71cm flatty (estimated ) Cobia 133cm
4liters
PHD in Yakology.
kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer 13, Stealth Fisha 500

Post by 4liters »

Steve_R wrote: GWS are possibly more curious than intent on eating non-natural food.
This. When we're curious about something we pick it up and examine it, sharks don't have hands so if they want to find out what something is the only option they have is to give it a nibble.

A lot of shark "attacks" seem to be this sort of thing. You almost never hear of a victim being eaten, just bitten and the shark swims off to find something more to it's tastes.
peatop
PHD in Yakology.

Post by peatop »

Maybe we should eat loads of garlic, this might keep them away, not to mention everything and everyone else lol
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

peatop wrote:Maybe we should eat loads of garlic, this might keep them away, not to mention everything and everyone else lol
Except Greek girls
spider25160
Square eyes
kayak: Hobie itrek 11

Post by spider25160 »

pete49 wrote:
laneends wrote:At the end of the day the number of deaths of kayakers being killed by sharks is practically nil.. That said it gets the adrenelin running when a shark fin cruises by...you feel totally vulnerable
OK so its practically nil but then who is putting up their hand to become the next statistic? No thank you
Pete
Statistically and factually and any other ally you are more likely to die driving to your launch than being hurt by any shark let alone a GW. So if that is your position on kayaking in shark waters then maybe you should reconsider getting out of bed at all. But then that is more dangerous to your health than sharks too.
Last edited by spider25160 on 24 Aug 2019, 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Your mind is like a Parachute! It only works when it is open
Yak PB's: Snook 68cm, Black Bream 38cm, KGW 50cm, :up: Couta 72cm, snapper 45cm Australian Salmon 64cm Redfin 37cm EP 39cm Blue throat wrasse 46cm Dusky Flathead 56cm :yahoo:
4liters
PHD in Yakology.

Post by 4liters »

spider25160 wrote:
pete49 wrote:
Pete
Statistically and factually and any other ally you are more likely to die driving to your launch than being hurt by any shark let alone a GW. So if that is your position on kayaking in shark waters then maybe you should reconsider getting out of bed at all.
Then you're a huge risk of getting a nasty infected bed sore. I'll take my chances with noah
Steve_R
Square eyes
kayak: Hurricane Skimmer

Post by Steve_R »

4liters wrote:
Steve_R wrote: GWS are possibly more curious than intent on eating non-natural food.
This. When we're curious about something we pick it up and examine it, sharks don't have hands so if they want to find out what something is the only option they have is to give it a nibble.

A lot of shark "attacks" seem to be this sort of thing. You almost never hear of a victim being eaten, just bitten and the shark swims off to find something more to it's tastes.
People bleeding to death is nothing more than an unfortunate side-effect of GWS curiosity. Just keep saying, "it didn't mean to harm me", as you bleed out :lol:

Something to bear in mind is that small sharks mostly eat fish. As they grow, logic says they become less maneuverable and need more substantial food sources to satisfy their appetite. From
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au ... k-nursery/
“We were surprised that although the teeth and jaws of our juvenile sharks looked the part and the muscles were there to drive them, the jaws themselves just couldn’t handle the stress associated with big bites on big prey,” says study co-author Dr Stephen Wroe. Until great whites reach about 3m there is insufficient mineralised cartilage in the jaws to resist the forces involved in killing large prey, such as seals and sea lions – or people.

“This study also explains why many shark attacks off NSW by great whites are aborted after a single bite, as those involved are usually juveniles who may sustain jaw injury if they persevere with the attack,” says another study co-author, Dr Vic Peddemors.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience - Greg King

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows ― Epictetus

BOT? https://checkip.kaspersky.com/