EX HMAS Canberra charter dive Sat 13th Feb 2016

Into yak based Diving? Talk about it here!
Jacko
Lord of the fish
kayak: Hobie Outback

EX HMAS Canberra charter dive Sat 13th Feb 2016

Post by Jacko »

Haven't had many opportunities to get out on my yak for a SCUBA dive so when a dive buddy phoned and asked if I was interested in joining him on a charter dive to Ex HMAS Canberra near Barwon Heads I jumped at it.
We will be leaving Portsea pier at 11:30 (edit changed from 11:30 to 10:00) Saturday morning.
I haven't dived the Ex HMAS Canberra before so I am looking forward to it.
Any Vyaker SCUBA divers that want to join us could phone Dive Victoria (No affiliation) & book a spot on the boat.
Last edited by Jacko on 11 Feb 2016, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
cbarker54
Lord of the fish
kayak: Red Outback

Re: EX HMAS Canberra charter dive Sat 13th Feb 2016

Post by cbarker54 »

Keep your eye out for a light aircraft pilot. Rumour has it there's one getting round those parts.......
CB

I couldnt think of anything witty or funny to say and didnt really want to post my PB fish from the yak cause all I manage to get are toadies so I thought I'd take the time to fill in the blank space and say pretty much absolutely nothing and annoy every-one who has taken the time to read this.
maverick
Hardcore Vyaker
kayak: Hobie Direction & Hobie Road Sign

Post by maverick »

Enjoy and remember to look up at the kings swimming around.
Well past the edge, almost at the point of no return.
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

cbarker54 wrote:Keep your eye out for a light aircraft pilot. Rumour has it there's one getting round those parts.......
If the search & rescue didn't find him I doubt we will see him during a charter dive, but you're right, a light aircraft did go down in that vicinity and the pilot was never recovered.
While we were waiting for the charter boat to come & get us one of the other divers asked whether the pilot had been found - I said I didn't think so.
He told me the conditions were particularly bad on the day & they suspect the plane crashed into the sea due to bad storms, lack of visibility & lack of instruments.
Last edited by Jacko on 13 Feb 2016, 23:39, edited 3 times in total.
Jacko
Lord of the fish

Post by Jacko »

maverick wrote:Enjoy and remember to look up at the kings swimming around.
I will tell the schools of kings to swim back through the heads toward sorrento and look for your jigs :wave1: .

Post dive mini report
The wind picked up in the morning and so did the swell but it was not too bad and fairly good conditions on the journey through the heads.
Conditions were pretty good for a dive and I guess the viz was about 10 meters.
Descended and landed on the bottom at 28.3 m near the bow of the Canberra.
Followed the hull up to the deck then proceeded to the comms towers.
A bit of surge pushed us around near some of the hatch openings but it was a good dive. :thumbsup:
Didn't see a lot of fish & no Kings to send Mavs way.
Plenty of kelp is starting to grow on the hull.
Only a 15 minute dive.
Used my 9 litre faber small tank I bought to use on the yak.
Need to reduce my air consumption or hire a bigger tank for these deeper charter dives.

Didn't take camera etc so no photos to post but if you want photos and info on the dive site google Ex "HMAS Canberra SCUBA dive" and you will find Parks Victoria and most of the Commercial Charter groups will have articles, photos and videos about the scuttling of the vessel and the dive site.